- PHYSICS-161-01 -- Introduction to Extragalactic Astrophysics and Cosmology
- Roodman, Aaron
- PHYSICS-261-01 -- Introduction to Extragalactic Astrophysics and Cosmology
- Roodman, Aaron
Request at circulation desk
QB981 .L846 2008
On Reserve 1-day loan
- Unknown QB981 .L846 2008
(no call number)
- Unknown (no call number)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -694) and indexes.
- Part I Preliminaries.- 1 A Brief History of Cosmology and Galaxy Formation.- 2 The Large Scale Structure of the Universe.- 3 Galaxies.- 4 Clusters of Galaxies.- Part II The Basic Framework.- 5 The Theoretical Framework.- 6 An Introduction to Relativistic Gravity.- 7 The Friedman World Models.- 8 The Determination of Cosmological Parameters.- 9 The Thermal History of the Universe.- 10 Nucleosynthesis in the Early Universe.- Part III The Development of Primordial Fluctuations under Gravity.- 11 The Evolution of Perturbations in the Standard Big Bang.- 12 More Tools and Problems.- 13 Dark Matter and Galaxy Formation.- 14 Correlation Functions and the Spectrum of the Initial Fluctuations.- 15 Fluctuations in the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation.- Part IV The Post-Recombination Universe.- 16 The Post-Recombination Era.- 17 The Evolution of Galaxies and Active Galaxies with Cosmic Epoch.- 18 The Intergalactic Medium.- 19 Making Real Galaxies.- 20 The Very Early Universe.- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This second edition of "Galaxy Formation" is an up-to-date text on astrophysical cosmology, expounding the structure of the classical cosmological models from a contemporary viewpoint. This forms the background to a detailed study of the origin of structure and galaxies in the Universe. The derivations of many of the most important results are derived by simple physical arguments which illuminate the results of more advanced treatments. A very wide range of observational data is brought to bear upon these problems, including the most recent results from WMAP, the Hubble Space Telescope, galaxy surveys like the Sloan Digital Sky Survey and the 2dF Galaxy Redshift Survey, studies of Type 1a supernovae, and many other observations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Malcolm S. Longair.
- Astronomy and astrophysics library, 0941-7834
- "With 202 figures and 20 tables."
- Previous ed.: 1998.