Particle and astroparticle physics
- Sarkar, U. (Utpal)
- New York : Taylor & Francis, c2008.
- Physical description
- xii, 524 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Series in high energy physics, cosmology, and gravitation.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 491-520) and index.
- Preface Introduction Formalism Particles and Fields Action principle Scalar, spinor, and gauge fields Feynman diagrams Scattering processes and cross section Renormalization Divergences Radiative corrections Renormalization of QED Renormalization in o4 theory Group Theory Matrix groups Lie groups and Lie algebra SU(2), SU(3), and SU(n) groups Group representations Orthogonal groups STANDARD MODEL AND BEYOND Symmetries in Nature Discrete symmetries Continuous symmetries Symmetry breaking Local symmetries The Standard Model Quantum chromodynamics V--A theory Electroweak theory Fermion masses and mixing Neutrino Masses and Mixing Dirac and Majorana neutrinos Models of neutrino masses Neutrino oscillations Summary of experiments CP Violation CP violation in the quark sector Strong CP problem Peccei--Quinn symmetry CP violation in the leptonic sector Grand Unification and Supersymmetry Grand Unified Theory SU(5) grand unified theories Particle spectrum Proton decay Coupling constant unification SO(10) grand unified theories Supersymmetry Why supersymmetry Formalism Gauge theory Supersymmetry breaking Supersymmetric Models Minimal supersymmetric standard model Supersymmetry breaking models R-parity violation Supersymmetry and L violation Grand unified theories EXTRA DIMENSIONS Extended Gravity Gravity in four dimensions Gravity in higher dimensions Supergravity Extended supergravity Introduction to Strings Bosonic strings Superstrings Heterotic string Superstring phenomenology Duality and branes Extra Dimensions and Low-Scale Gravity Large extra dimensions Phenomenology with large extra dimensions TeV-scale grand unified theories Neutrino masses and strong CP problem Warped extra dimensions Novelties with Extra Dimensions Noncompact warped dimensions Orbifold grand unified theories Split supersymmetry Higgsless models ASTROPARTICLE PHYSICS Introduction to Cosmology The standard model of cosmology Evolution of the universe Primordial nucleosynthesis Cosmic microwave background radiation Formation of large scale structures Cosmic microwave background anisotropy Inflation Baryon Asymmetry of the Universe Baryogenesis Leptogenesis Models of leptogenesis Leptogenesis and neutrino masses Generic constraints Dark Matter and Dark Energy Dark matter and supersymmetry Models of dark matter Dark matter searches Dark energy and quintessense Neutrino dark energy Cosmology and Extra Dimensions Bounds on extra dimensions Brane cosmology Dark energy in a brane world Epilogue bibliography References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Providing the necessary theoretical background, "Particle and Astroparticle Physics" explores new advancements in the field and their consequences in cosmology and in colliders. The book starts with an introduction to basic formalism, followed by a brief review of key concepts, such as renormalization, symmetry principles, and group theory. It considers both standard and recently developed models, supersymmetric and non-symmetric, in four and higher dimensions. The book also describes recent developments in cosmology that require extensions of particle physics. It concludes with a discussion of collider signals of new physics as well as expectations for the next generation of colliders.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Utpal Sarkar.
- Series in high energy physics, cosmology, and gravitation