Nishina memorial lectures : creators of modern physics
- [Berlin?] : Springer, c2008.
- Physical description
- xiv, 402 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Lecture notes in physics 746.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- 1. Abstraction in Modern Science Werner Karl Heisenberg2. Yoshio Nishina, the Pioneer of Modern Physics in JapanRyogo Kubo3. Tomonaga Sin-Itiro : A Memorial unskip ignorespaces -- Two Shakers of PhysicsJulian Schwinger4. The Discovery of the Parity Violation in Weak Interactions and Its Recent DevelopmentsChien-Shiung Wu5. Origins of LifeFreeman J. Dyson6. The Computing Machines in the FutureRichard P. Feynman7. Niels Bohr and the Development of Concepts in Nuclear PhysicsBen R. Mottelson8. From X-Ray to Electron SpectroscopyKai Siegbahn9. Theoretical Paradigms for the Sciences of ComplexityPhilip W. Anderson10. Some Ideas on the Aesthetics of SciencePhilip W. Anderson11. Particle Physics and Cosmology: New Aspects of an Old RelationshipLeon Van Hove12. The Experimental Discovery of CP ViolationJames W. Cronin13. The Nanometer Age: Challenge and ChangeHeinrich Rohrer14. From Rice to Snow Pierre-Gilles de Gennes15. SCIENCE --- A Round Peg in a Square WorldHarold Kroto16. Are We Really Made of Quarks?Jerome I. Friedman17. Very Elementary Particle PhysicsMartinus J.G. Veltman18. The Klein-Nishina Formula & Quantum ElectrodynamicsChen Ning YangAppendix. List of Nishina Memorial Lectures.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume is a collection of Nishina Memorial Lectures delivered by distinguished physicists during the past 50 years at the invitation of the Nishina Memorial Foundation. The Lectures commemorate Yoshio Nishina, the father of modern physics in Japan, well known for the Klein-Nishina formula. The collection includes a variety of topics chosen by W. Heisenberg, R. Kubo, J. Schwinger, C.S. Wu, F.J. Dyson, R.P. Feynman, B.R. Mottelson, K. Siegbahn, P.W. Anderson, L. Van Hove, J.W. Cronin, H. Rohrer, P. de Gennes, H. Kroto, J. Friedman, M.J.G. Veltman, and C.N. Yang. Now listen to W. Heisenberg's own voice: in the right column you can download the first minutes of his lecture "Abstraction in Modern Science" recorded in 1967! You can read the remainder of this lecture and all other lectures online via the link under 'E-content'. 'We hope that this volume will help young readers to grasp and enjoy the progress of modern physics, as described in these first-hand records of lectures given by its creators' - From the Editor's Preface.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Nishina Memorial Foundation (ed.).
- Lecture notes in physics ; 746
- Also available on the World Wide Web.