Tough choices or tough times : the report of the New Commission on the Skills of the American Workforce
- Corporate Author
- National Center on Education and the Economy (U.S.). New Commission on the Skills of the American Workforce.
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco : John Wiley & Sons, c2007.
- Physical description
- xxxi, 169 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
HD5715.2 .N32 2007
- Unknown HD5715.2 .N32 2007
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Executive Summary. Preface. Prologue. Part I : The Nature of the Challenge Now. Part II: The Scenario: The Recommendations as They Might Look from the Vantage Point of an Observer in 2021. Comments. Background Papers Estimates of the Additional Expense and Savings Associated with the Commission's Proposed Reforms in Elementary and Secondary Education. Teachers and Teaching Policy. Early Childhood Education. The Adult Workforce. Appendixes. The Study. Trustees of the National Center on Education and the Economy. Biographies of the Members of the Commission. Commission Staff and Associates.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "Tough Choices or Tough Times" calls for first redesign of the American education system in a century. This report of the New Commission on the Skills of the American Workforce shows how the dynamics of the global economy will lead to a steady decline in the American standard of living if this country does not undertake the first thorough overhaul of its education system in a century. It shows how our country can graduate 95 per cent of our students (not two-thirds, as it does now) after 12 years and the majority after only 10 years of grade school. It reveals how billions of dollars can be saved by changing the way students progress through the grades and how the money saved could be used to build high quality early childhood education systems, attract the best and brightest teachers, and provide the resources for even the most disadvantaged students to reach world class standards.This hard-hitting analysis describes the kind of economy needed to sustain our current standard of living and kinds of skills and knowledge that American workers need to make that economy work. It also details the dramatic changes in governance, finance, organization, and management of the American education and training systems that are needed. "Tough Choices or Tough Times" was written for anyone concerned with the future of this country and the state of our schools and our job training systems. It provides a well-researched analysis of the issues and a compelling set of proposals for changing our system of education. This is a CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title, 2007.National Center in Education and the Economy (NCEE) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing young people with the world-class skills that will allow them to succeed in a global economy. The 26-member commission includes former Cabinet secretaries of labor and education, Senators, Members of Congress, school superintendents, CEOs of major firms, union leaders, and governors.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Report of the New Commission on the Skills of the American Workforce
- "NCEE, National Center on Education and the Economy."