The young adolescent and the middle school
- Charlotte, N.C. : Information Age Pub. ; Westerville, Ohio : National Middle School Association, c2007.
- Physical description
- xxxiii, 373 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Handbook of research in middle level education series.
LB1623 .Y68 2007
- Unknown LB1623 .Y68 2007
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Introduction, Steven B. Mertens, Vincent A. Anfara, Jr., and Micki M. Caskey.-- Part I. Physical Development of Young Adolescents, Steven B. Mertens, Vincent A. Anfara, Jr., and Micki M. Caskey. Comprehensive Health Chapter, Peter F. Mulhall. "Put Me In, Coach": The Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity for Young Adolescents, Leslee A. Fisher and Melissa N. Madeson. Obesity Chapter, Mark Temple. Mental Health Chapter, Leslie Cook.-- Part II. Intellectual and Cognitive Development of Young Adolescents, Micki M. Caskey, Vincent A. Anfara, Jr., and Steven B. Mertens. A Glimpse into the School Lives of Young Adolescent Immigrant and Refugee Students: Implications for the Middle Level, David C. Virtue. Language Factors in Literacy Achievement of Young Adolescents, Francine Falk-Ross. Student Perceptions of Curriculum Integration and Community: "Always Give Me a Chance to Shine", Penny A. Bishop, Garet Allen-Malley, and Kathleen Brinegar. Recognizing and Responding to Young Adolescents' Ethnic Identity Development, Dave F. Brown and Heather L. Leaman. Gifted Learners in the Middle Grades: In Search of Equity and Excellence, Carol Ann Tomlinson and Maureen Murphy.-- Part III. Social and Personal Development of Young Adolescents, Vincent A. Anfara, Jr., Micki M. Caskey, and Steven B. Mertens. Aligning Student Self and Identity Concerns with Middle School Practices, Thomas M. Brinthaupt, Richard P. Lipka, and Monica A. Wallace. Examining the Transition from Middle School to High School: Translating Research into Practice, Joshua Smith and Sungtaek Lim. Middle School Teacher Qualities: Looking for Signs of Dignity and Democracy, Mark D. Vagle. The Interface of School and Family in Meeting the Belonging Needs of Young Adolescents, Lynley H. Anderman and Valerie S. Leake. The Unique Nature of Middle School Counseling, Patrick Akos. A School-wide Approach to Promoting Young Adolescent Social and Behavioral Success in Middle School, Chris Borgmeier. About the Authors. About the Editors. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The Young Adolescent and the Middle School, will focus on issues related to the nature of young adolescence and the intersection of young adolescence with middle level schooling. Examples of topics related to young adolescence include: (a) the developmental characteristics (i.e., physical, emotional, cognitive, social, ethical/moral, psychological), (b) self esteem, (c) identity formation, (d) issues related to gender, race/ethnicity, and sexual orientation, (e) peer pressure (e.g., bullying, suicide, and at-risk behaviors). Possible chapters that focus on the intersection of the nature of young adolescence with middle level schools include: (a) appropriate structures, organizational arrangements, interventions, and practices that are developmentally appropriate; (b) curricular, instructional, and assessment issues as they relate to this developmental period; (c) the characteristics/qualities of teachers and administrators that are essential for effectively working with young adolescents; and (d) issues related to special education; and (e) the involvement of family in middle level schooling. Of particular interest to the editor are manuscripts that present the perspectives of students on various issues related to young adolescence and schooling. Please check with the editor if you have any questions regarding the appropriateness of a topic.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Steven B. Mertens, Vincent A. Anfara, Jr., Micki M. Caskey.
- The handbook of research in middle level education