A comprehensive guide to intellectual & developmental disabilities
- Baltimore, Md. : Paul H. Brookes, c2007.
- Physical description
- xxv, 768 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
HV1570 .C66 2007
- In-library use HV1570 .C66 2007
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Developmental Disabilities-- What Do We Mean by Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities and Related Terms?-- Changing Perspectives on Developmental Disabilities-- Currents Trends and Issues in Intellectual Disabilities-- International Human Rights and Intellectual Disability-- Etiology and Condition-- An Introduction to Genetics, Development and the Nervous System-- Factors that Cause or Contribute to Developmental Disabilities-- Autism and Related Disabilities-- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder-- Children, Families, and HIV Infection-- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder-- Support and Intervention-- Introduction to Assessment, Intervention, and Services-- Introduction to Person-Centered and Family-Centered Support-- Behavioral Intervention and Developmental Disabilities-- Developmental Disabilities through the Lifespan-- Prenatal and Early Life-- Early Intervention: Principles and Practices-- Education for Students with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities-- The Transition from School to Adult Life-- Lifestyles of Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities-- Women's Work: A Gendered Approach to Developmental Disability-- Parenting by Persons with Intellectual Disabilities-- Health-- Ethical Issues Relating to Consent in Providing Treatment and Care-- Physical Health-- Intellectual Disabilities and Behavioral, Emotiona, l and Psychological Disturbances-- Future-- Current Trends & Future Challenges.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This comprehensive volume addresses developmental disabilities and intellectual disabilities across the lifespan. Drawing on the expertise of dozens of internationally renowned authors, the book covers the following topics: a historical overview; definitions; current views; approaches to supports, rights, and laws; ethical considerations; early intervention; education; adults/aging; employment; role of families; genetics; common (and uncommon) syndromes; and other specialized topics such as epilepsy, Down syndrome, and autism. The book's goal is to promote the sharing of information, experience, solutions, and insights in order to help improve the quality of life for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Ivan Brown and Maire Percy.
- Title Variation
- Comprehensive guide to intellectual and developmental disabilities
- Intellectual and developmental disabilities