Gravitation and experiment : Poincaré seminar 2006
- Poincaré Seminar (9th : 2006 : Institut Henri Poincaré)
- Basel ; Boston : Birkhäuser Verlag, c2007.
- Physical description
- vii, 138 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Progress in mathematical physics v. 52.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Preface.- General Relativity.- Beyond Einstein's Gravity.- Testing Einstein in Space: The Gravity Probe B Relativity Mission.- The Double Pulsar.- Instruments for Gravitational Wave Astronomy on Ground and in Space.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book starts with a detailed introduction to general relativity by world expert T. Damour. It includes a review of what may lie beyond by string theorist I. Antoniadis, and collects up-to-date essays on the experimental tests of this theory. Contrary to some beliefs, general relativity is now a theory extremely well confirmed by detailed experiments, including the precise timing of the double pulsar J0737-3039 explained by M. Kramer, member of the team which discovered it in 2003, and satellite missions such as Gravity Probe B described by leading team member J. Mester. The search for detecting gravitational waves is also very much under way as reviewed by J.-Y. Vinet.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Thibault Damour, Bertrand Duplantier, Vincent Rivasseau, editors.
- Progress in mathematical physics ; v. 52
- Proceedings of the 9th seminar held in 2006 at the Institut Henri Poincaré in Paris.