- Publication date:
- Westport, Conn. : Praeger Publishers, 2007.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- v. 1. Gendered theories of education
- Gender issues in educational research
- Institutional contexts for gendered education
- Gender constructions in the official curriculum
- Gendered achievements in the official curriculum
- v. 2. Gender constructions and achievements in the extracurriculum
- Gender constructions in the hidden curriculum
- Gender constructions in the peer group
- Gendered teaching and administration
- Gender and educational policies.
- Publisher's Summary:
In this two-volume set, educators explore the intersection of gender and education. Their entries deal with educational theories, research, curricula, practices, personnel, and policies, but also with variations in the gendering of education across history and cultural contexts. The various contributors discuss gender as a social construction. The latest research on boys and masculinities as well as girls and feminism is included. The entries in this work cover the breadth of topics related to gender and education. Sidebars include excerpts from interviews with students and teachers. Numerous tables, charts, and timelines provide quick reference information on the history and condition of gender and education from a number of vantage points. Entries cover such topics as: alternative schools; historically black colleges and universities in the United States; military colleges and academies; private and public single-sex and co-educational schools; literacy; mathematics achievement; women's centers; teacher interactions with girls and boys; affirmative action in U.S. higher education; sororities and fraternities; educator sexual misconduct; expectations of teachers for boys and girls; heterosexism and homophobia; bullying, harassment, and violence among students; salaries of male and female educators; school choice and gender equity; disabled students and gender equity; Title IX and school sports; black feminism; womanism; and queer theory.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Bank, Barbara J.
Delamont, Sara, 1947-
Marshall, Catherine, 1946-