Light and optics : principles and practices
- Al-Azzawi, Abdul.
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- 378 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 27 cm.
QC355.3 .A42 2007
- Unknown QC355.3 .A42 2007
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- THE NATURE OF LIGHT Introduction The Evolution of Light Theory Measurements of the Speed of Light Light Sources The Electromagnetic Spectrum Types of Electromagnetic Waves Properties of Light Further Reading LIGHT AND SHADOWS Introduction Shadows Solar Eclipse Lunar Eclipse Applications of Shadows Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading THERMAL RADIATION Introduction Thermal Radiation Light and Energy Solar Radiation Energy Classification of Solar Collectors Flat-Plate Collectors Solar Heating Systems Hot Water and Steam Generation Systems Vapour Absorption Refrigeration/Air Conditioning Systems Photovoltaic Systems Experimental Work List of References Appendices Weather Station Further Reading LIGHT PRODUCTION Introduction Spontaneous Light Emission Stimulated Light Emission Light Production by Different Energy Sources Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading LIGHT INTENSITY Introduction Light Intensity Luminous Flux Luminous Intensity Illumination Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading LIGHT AND COLOUR Introduction Colours Mixing Light Colours The Colour Triangle The C.I.E. Chromaticity Diagram Colour Televisions Spectral Transmittance Curves Colour Temperature Newton's Colour Wheel Black and White Colour Strip Intersection Wheel Black and White Colour Strip Wheel Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading LAWS OF LIGHT Introduction Law of Reflection Law of Refraction Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading PLANE MIRRORS Introduction The Reflection of Light Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading SPHERICAL MIRRORS Introduction Images Formed by Spherical Mirrors Spherical Aberration Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading LENSES Introduction Types of Lenses Graphical Method to Locate an Image Formed by Converging and Diverging Lenses Image Formation by Converging Lenses The Lens Equation Magnification of a Thin Lens The Lensmaker's Equation Combination of Thin Lenses Lens Aberrations Lens Polishing Technology Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading PRISMS Introduction Prisms Prism Types Prisms in Different Combinations Light Beam Passing through a Prism Factors Governing Dispersion of Light by a Prism Dispersion of White Light by a Prism Mixing Spectrum Colours Using a Glass Rod and Tube Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading BEAMSPLITTERS Introduction Beamsplitters Beamsplitter Types Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading LIGHT PASSING THROUGH OPTICAL COMPONENTS Introduction Experimental Work List of References Appendix Further Reading OPTICAL INSTRUMENTS FOR VIEWING APPLICATIONS Introduction Optical Instruments The Camera The Eye The Magnifying Glass The Compound Microscope Advanced Microscopes The Telescope The Binoculars The Slide Projector The Overhead Projector The Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) Projector The Light Box Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading POLARIZATION OF LIGHT Introduction Polarization of Light Forms of Polarization of Light Occurrence of Polarization Polarizing Materials Polarizing Optical Components The Law of Malus Optical Activity Photoelasticity Liquid Crystal Display Polarization Maintaining Fibres Polarization Loss Experimental Work List of References Appendices Further Reading OPTICAL MATERIALS Introduction Classes of Materials Applications Experimental Work List of References Appendix Further Reading PHOTONICS LABORATORY SAFETY Introduction Electrical Safety Light Sources Devices and Equipment Audio-Visual and Computer Peripherals Handling of Fibre Optic Cables Epoxy Adhesives and Sealants Cleaning Optical Components Optic/Optical Fibre Devices and Systems Cleaning Chemicals Warning Labels Laser Safety Laser Safety Tips Indoor Air Quality Other Considerations Further Reading APPENDIX A: DETAILS OF THE DEVICES, COMPONENTS, TOOLS, AND PARTS APPENDIX B: INTERNATIONAL SYSTEM OF UNITS (SI) APPENDIX C: LIGHTING LAMPS GLOSSARY INDEX.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Since the invention of the laser, our fascination with the photon has led to one of the most dynamic and rapidly growing fields of technology. As the reality of all-optical systems comes into focus, it is more important than ever to stay current with the latest advances in the optics and components that enable photonics technology. Comprising chapters drawn from the author's highly anticipated book "Photonics: Principles and Practices", "Physical Optics: Principles and Practices" offers a detailed and focused treatment for anyone in need of authoritative information on this critical area underlying photonics. Using a consistent approach, the author leads you step-by-step through each topic. Each skillfully crafted chapter first explores the theoretical concepts of each topic, and then demonstrates how these principles apply to real-world applications by guiding you through experimental cases illuminated with numerous illustrations. The book works systematically through the principles of waves, diffraction, interference, diffraction gratings, interferometers, spectrometers, and several aspects of laser technology to build a thorough understanding of how to study and manipulate the behavior of light for various applications. In addition, it includes a four-page insert containing several full-color illustrations as well as a chapter on laboratory safety. Containing several topics presented for the first time in book form, "Physical Optics: Principles and Practices" is simply the most modern, detailed, and hands-on text in the field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Abdul Al-Azzawi.