Modelling critical and catastrophic phenomena in geoscience : a statistical physics approach
- Berlin ; New York : Springer, c2006.
- Physical description
- xxi, 525 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
- Lecture notes in physics 705.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part I Tutorial: Introductory Material.- Part II Physics Models of Earthquake.- Part III Modelling Related Phenomena.- Part IV Miscellanous Short Notes.- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book presents a broad survey of models for critical and catastrophic phenomena in the geosciences, with strong emphasis on earthquakes. It assumes the perspective of statistical physics, which provides the theoretical frame for dealing with complex systems in general. This volume addresses graduate students wishing to specialize in the field and researchers working or interested in the field having a background in the physics, geosciences or applied mathematics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- [edited by] Pratip Bhattacharyya, Bikas K. Chakrabarti.
- Lecture notes in physics, 0075-8450 ; 705
- Papers originally presented at a workshop on "Models of Earthquakes: Physics Approaches", held in Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata in December 2005.
- Also available on the World Wide Web.