Modern Chinese artists : a biographical dictionary
- Sullivan, Michael, 1916-2013
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2006.
- Physical description
- xx, 249 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
UPDATE - Library closed July 25 - Sept. 9.
The Library will be closed during its relocation to the new McMurtry Building. Please check out Art materials prior to July 25.
N7348 .S85 2006
- In-library use N7348 .S85 2006
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 245-249).
- Preface-- Abbreviations-- Name Changes of Principal Art Academies-- Biographical Dictionary-- Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The first biographical dictionary of its kind in any Western language, this pioneering work provides short, information-packed entries for approximately 1,800 Chinese artists of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. In recent years interest in modern Chinese art has spread across the globe. Public and private collections are being formed; courses in modern Chinese art are offered in many universities and museums. At the same time, the number of practicing artists in China and the amount of published material have greatly increased.Michael Sullivan's pathbreaking book, "Art and Artists of Twentieth-Century China", published in 1996, included a biographical index of some eight hundred artists. This volume includes more than twice that number, with entries that have been revised, expanded, and brought up to date. Illustrated with portraits and photographs of more than seventy leading artists, this comprehensive, convenient reference will be an essential tool for anyone interested in the study or collection of modern Chinese art.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Table of contents
- Publication date
- Michael Sullivan.
- "Ahmanson Murphy fine arts imprint"--P. [i].