The Oxford encyclopedia of food and drink in America
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, c2004.
- Physical description
- 2 v. : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Smith, Andrew F., 1946-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- v. 1. A-J
- v. 2. K-Z.
- Publisher's Summary
- The history of food and drink in America is an exciting tale of unexpected twists and turns that are even more amusing than the oft-repeated myths. It is a story filled with hot-shot inventors, high-flying promoters, risk-taking growers, efficiency-conscious processors, hard-hitting advertisers, and lip-smacking consumers - all of whom have contributed to transforming lowly American food into a worldwide culinary delight. In 800 intriguing articles (from over 200 contributors), the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America covers the significant events, inventions, and social movements in American history that have affected the way Americans view, prepare, and consume food and drink. In an A-Z format, available in a two volume print version or as an e-reference title from Oxford's Digital Reference Shelf. Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America details the regions, people, ingredients, foods, drinks, publications, advertising, companies, historical periods, and political and economic aspects pertinent to American cuisine. With contributions from academia, industry, and the culinary world, the Encyclopedia provides a far-ranging yet cohesive account of American history and culture from a gastronomic perspective. From the extravagant feasts of Diamond Jim Brady in the Gilded Age to the fad diets and the health consciousness of today, the status and cultural significance of American food and drink has transformed throughout the years. With interesting anecdotes, informative sidebars, and generous bibliographies, the Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America will captivate readers--from scholars and food lovers everywhere - in this journey through American culinary history.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Table of contents
- Publication date
- Andrew F. Smith, editor in chief.
- Title Variation
- Food and drink in America
- Also available on the World Wide Web.