The view from the center of the universe : discovering our extraordinary place in the cosmos
- Primack, J. R. (Joel R.)
- New York : Riverhead Books, 2006.
- Physical description
- 386 p. ; 24 cm.
QB981 .P85 2006
- Unknown QB981 .P85 2006
- Abrams, Nancy Ellen, 1949-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- A world-renowned astrophysicist and a science philosopher present a new, scientifically supported understanding of the universe, one that will forever change our personal relationship with the cosmos. For four hundred years, since early scientists discovered that the universe did not revolve around the earth, people have felt cut off-adrift in a meaningless cosmos. That is about to change. In their groundbreaking new book, "The View from the Center of the Universe, " Joel R. Primack, Ph.D., one of the world's leading cosmologists, and Nancy Ellen Abrams, a philosopher and writer, use recent advances in astronomy, physics, and cosmology to frame a compelling new theory of how to understand the universe and our role in it. While most of us think of the universe as empty space peppered with stars separated by vast distances, the truth, the authors argue, is far richer and more meaningful. For the first time in history, we know that the universe is more coherent and spiritually significant than anyone ever imagined and that our place in it is actually central to the expanding universe in important ways. According to Primack and Abrams, this new cosmology clarifies how the universe operates, what it's made of, how it may have originated, and how it is evolving. Even more surprising, these startling ideas spring from both cutting-edge science and the metaphors of ancient symbols. The result is a very human book that satisfies our fundamental need for order and meaning in our world and in our lives.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- by Joel R. Primack and Nancy Ellen Abrams.