Fluency instruction : research-based best practices
- New York : Guilford Press, c2006.
- Physical description
- xvii, 302 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LB1050 .F58 2006
- Unknown LB1050 .F58 2006
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- "Rasinski, Blachowicz, Lems, "Introduction. Part I: Fluency Theory, Fluency Research. "Samuels, " Reading Fluency: Its Past, Present, and Future."Shanahan, " Developing Fluency in the Context of Effective Literacy Instruction. "Chard, Pikulski, McDonagh, " Fluency: The Link Between Decoding and Comprehension for Struggling Readers. "Reutzel, " "Hey, Teacher, When You Say 'Fluency, ' What Do You Mean?": Developing Fluency in Elementary Classrooms. "Walker, Mokhtari, Sargent, " Reading Fluency: More Than Fast and Accurate Reading. "Allington, Mathson, Solic, " Hijacking Fluency and Instructionally Informative Assessments. Part II: Best Programs, Best Practices. "Johnston, " The Fluency Assessment System: Improving Oral Reading Fluency with Technology. "Blachowicz, Moskal, Massarelli, Obrochta, Fogelberg, Fisher, " "Everybody Reads": Fluency as a Focus for Staff Development. Ash, Kuhn, Meaningful Oral and Silent Reading in the Elementary and Middle School Classroom: Breaking the Round Robin Reading Addiction. "Topping, "Paired Reading: Impact of a Tutoring Method on Reading Accuracy, Comprehension, and Fluency. "Pluck, " "Jonathon is 11 but Reads Like a Struggling 7-Year-Old": Providing Assistance for Struggling Readers with a Tape-Assisted Reading Program. "Carrick, " Readers Theater across the Curriculum. Part III: Special Populations, Special Issues. "Lems, "Reading Fluency and Comprehension in Adult English Language Learners. "Stevenson, Rasinski, Padak, " Teaching Fluency (and Decoding) through Fast Start: An Early Childhood Parental Involvement Program." Zutell, Donelson, Bevans, Todt, " Building a Focus on Oral Reading Fluency into Individual Instruction for Struggling Readers. "Hiebert, Fisher, " Fluency from the First: What Works with First Graders. Appendix: Multidimensional Fluency Scale.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Because fluency instruction was identified only recently as a cornerstone literacy subject, it is still an unfamiliar terrain for many teachers. This volume fills a crucial gap by offering a thorough, authoritative examination of what reading fluency is and how it should be taught. The contributing authors - who include the field's leading authorities - review the growing knowledge base and provide clear recommendations for effective, engaging instruction and assessment. The special topics include promising applications for struggling readers and English language learners. Throughout, vignettes and examples from exemplary programs bring the research to life, enhancing the book's utility as an undergraduate- or graduate-level text and a resource for in-service teachers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- edited by Timothy Rasinski, Camille Blachowicz, Kristin Lems.