- Publication date:
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2005.
- 5 v. (li, 2,483 p.) : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Title Variation:
Encyclopedia of multiethnic American literature
Multiethnic American literature
Includes bibliographical references (v. 5, p. -2379) and index.
- List of Entries-- Guide to Related Topics-- Preface-- Introduction by Paul Lauter-- The Encyclopedia-- Selected Bibliography-- Advisory Board-- About the Editor and Contributors-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary:
Reflects the vast cultural diversity of American literature. While other works cover individual ethnic literary traditions, this massive encyclopedia is the first to offer a comprehensive introduction to the spectacularly diverse range of ethnic-minority American writers. Also included are more than 1100 alphabetically arranged entries, by more than 300 scholars. While many of the writers covered have international reputations, others are emerging artists and little has been written about them. Most of the entries are on individual writers, and others cover seminal works, ethnic stereotypes, literary genres, the writings of particular ethnic groups, places that are prominent in ethnic histories, major historical events, key pieces of legislation affecting ethnic populations, and various other topics that form the social context surrounding multiethnic American literature. This encyclopedia will be a crucial reference work for students and teachers interested in understanding contemporary American society and literature.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Nelson, Emmanuel S. (Emmanuel Sampath), 1954-