Magnetic fields in the universe : from laboratory and stars to primordial structures : Angra dos Reis, Brazil, 28 November - 3 December 2004
- Melville, N.Y. : American Institute of Physics, 2005.
- Physical description
- xxii, 455 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
- AIP conference proceedings no. 784.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- All papers were peer-reviewed. This volume summarizes the views of many world-renowned experts on a broad spectrum of topics involving magnetic fields, from the scale of laboratory plasma experiments to astrophysics and cosmology. It includes updated reviews and new results on hot topics on the interdisciplinary boundary between plasma physics and astrophysics, so that it can be a rather useful reference not only for senior researchers but also for graduate students involved with the investigation of plasma astrophysics and cosmic magnetic fields. Highlights of the works included in this volume are: the recent progress on the measurements of magnetic fields in our Galaxy and other galaxies, and in star formation regions; the construction of new numerical tools for multidimensional simulations of MHD flows with several astrophysical applications; recent advances on the comprehension of the effects of magnetic fields in stellar and solar activity, star formation and evolution, compact objects, accretion physics, production and propagation of jets and winds, origin and propagation of cosmic rays, and production of gamma ray bursts; laboratory and astrophysical plasmas connections; the interplay between turbulence and magnetic fields in the interstellar medium and space plasmas; the implications of magnetic reconnection on particle acceleration, star formation, and solar flares; and the recent advances in dynamo theories for the origin of stellar, galactic, and primordial magnetic fields. A new powerful numerical tool for multidimensional numerical simulations of magnetohydrodynamical flows is described in two papers in these proceedings.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- editors : Elisabete M. de Gouveia Dal Pino, Germán Lugones, Alexander Lazarian ; sponsoring organizations : Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil, Università di Pisa, Italy, University of Wisconsin at Madison, USA.
- AIP conference proceedings, 0094-243X ; v. 784
- "CD-ROM included: in addition to the invited papers which are printed in this volume, the CD-ROM included at the back contains the contributed papers of this conference."--t.p.
- Also available via the World Wide Web.