Discovering the universe
- Comins, Neil F.
- 7th ed. / Neil F. Comins, William J. Kaufmann III.
- New York, NY : W.H. Freeman and Co., c2005.
- Physical description
- 1 v. (various pagings) : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 28 cm. + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
- Kaufmann, William J.
- PART I: UNDERSTANDING ASTRONOMY - Discovering the Night Sky - Gravitation and the Waltz of the Planets - Light and Telescopes - Visible Light and Other Electromagnetic Radiation - PART II: UNDERSTANDING THE SOLAR SYSTEM - Formation of The Solar System and Other Planetary Systems - Earth and Moon - The Other Terrestrial Planets - The Outer Planets - Vagabonds of the Solar System - The Sun: Our Extraordinary, Ordinary Star - PART III: UNDERSTANDING THE STARS - The Challenge of Characterizing Stars - The Lives of Stars from Birth Through Middle Ages - The Deaths of Stars - Black Holes - PART IV: UNDERSTANDING THE UNIVERSE - The Milky Way Galaxy - Galaxies - Quasars, Active Galaxies, and Gamma-Ray Bursters - Cosmology - The Search for Extraterrestrial Life - Appendix I: Table of Data - Appendix II: Math Foundation - - -.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Discovering the Universe is the best-selling text for descriptive one-term astronomy courses (especially those with no mathematics prerequisites). Carried along by the book's vibrant main theme - the process of scientific discovery - readers will encounter spectacular sights, landmark experiments, and recent discoveries, while learning to avoid the pitfalls created by common misconceptions about astronomy. Now enhanced with a powerful technology and image projection package, this is the most exciting and effective edition yet. The accompanying CD-ROM features a special student version of the award winning planetarium software Starry Night as well as the universe modelling programme Deep Space Explorer.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Includes index.