New keywords : a revised vocabulary of culture and society
- Malden, MA : Blackwell Pub., 2005.
- Physical description
- xxvi, 427 p. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -416).
- Acknowledgements Abbreviations.Introduction A.Aesthetics.Alternative.Art.Audience B.Behaviour.Biology.Body.Bureaucracy C.Canon.Capitalism.Celebrity.Citizenship.City.Civilization.Class .Colonialism.Commodity.Communication.Community.Conservatism.Cons umption.Copy.Country.Culture D.Deconstruction.Democracy.Desire.Development.Diaspora Difference.Disability.Discipline.Discourse E.Economy.Education.Elite.Emotion.Empirical.Environment/ecology. Equality.Ethnicity.Everyday.Evolution.Experience F.Family.Fashion.Feminism.Fetish.Freedom.Fundamentalism G.Gay and Lesbian.Gender.Generation.Gene/genetic.Globalization.Government H.Heritage.History.Holocaust.Home.Human.Human Rights I.Ideology.Identity.Image.Indigenous.Individual.Industry.Informa tion.Intellectual J.Justice K.Knowledge.L.Liberalism M.Management.Marginal.Market.Mass.Materialism.Media.Memory.Mobil ity.Modern.Movements.Multiculturalism N.Narrative.Nation.Nature.Network.Normal O.Objectivity.Orientalism.Other P.Participation.Person.Place.Policy.Political correctness.Popular.Pornography.Postcolonialism.Postmodernism.Po verty.Power.Pragmatism.Private.Public Q.Queer R.Race.Radical.Reason.Reform/revolution.Relativism.Representatio n.Resistance.Risk S.Science.Self.Sexuality.Sign.Socialism.Society.Sovereignty.Spac e.Spectacle.State T.Taste.Technology.Text.Theory.Therapy.Time.Tolerance.Tourism U.Unconscious.Utopia V.Value.Virtual W.Welfare.West, the.Work.Writing Y.Youth.Notes on editors and contributors.References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Over 25 years ago, Raymond Williams' "Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and Society" set the standard for how we understand and use the language of culture and society. Now, three luminaries in the field of cultural studies have assembled a volume that builds on and updates Williams' classic, reflecting the transformation in culture and society since its publication. "New Keywords: A Revised Vocabulary of Culture and Society" is a state-of-the-art reference for students, teachers and culture vultures everywhere.The book assembles a stellar team of internationally renowned and interdisciplinary social thinkers and theorists; showcases 142 signed entries - from art, commodity, and fundamentalism to youth, utopia, the virtual, and the West - that capture the practices, institutions, and debates of contemporary society; builds on and updates Raymond Williams' classic "Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and Society", by reflecting the transformation in culture and society over the last 25 years; and, includes a bibliographic resource to guide research and cross-referencing. The book is supported by a website.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- edited by Tony Bennett, Lawrence Grossberg, Meaghan Morris.
- Rev. ed. of: Keywords / Raymond Williams. 1985.
- Related Work
- Williams, Raymond. Keywords.