Handbook of research in second language teaching and learning
- Mahwah, N.J. : L. Erlbaum Associates, 2005.
- Physical description
- xxii, 1144 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
P118.2 .H359 2005
- In-library use P118.2 .H359 2005
- Hinkel, Eli.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Preface-- Part I: Important Social Contexts of Research on Second Language Teaching and Learning. Introduction. M.E. Brisk, Bilingual Education. M. Hawkins, ESL in Elementary Education. P. Duff, ESL in Secondary Schools: Programs, Problematics, and Possibilities. D. Murray, ESL in Adult Education. S. Carkin, English for Academic Purposes. P. Master, English for Specific Purposes. C. Roberts, English in the Workplace. B. Tomlinson, English as a Foreign Language: Matching Procedures to the Context of Learning. Y. Kachru, Teaching and Learning of World Englishes-- Part II: Methods in Second Language Research. Introduction. L. Harklau, Ethnography and Ethnographic Research on Second Language Teaching and Learning. L. van Lier, Case Study. A. Lazaraton, Quantitative Research Methods. D. Nunan, Classroom Research. A. Burns, Action Research-- Part III: Applied Linguistics and Second Language Research. Introduction. T. Pica, Second Language Acquisition Research and Applied Linguistics. S. McKay, Sociolinguistics and L2 Learning. J. Zuengler, K.M. Cole, Language Socialization and L2 Learning. G. Kasper, C. Roever, Pragmatics in Second Language Learning. J. Lantolf, Sociocultural and Second Language Learning Research: An Exegesis. N. Markee, Conversation Analysis for Second Language Acquisition. R. Kaplan, Contrastive Rhetoric. S. Conrad, Corpus Studies and L2 Teaching-- Part IV: Second Language Processes and Development. Introduction. G. Ioup, Age in Second Language Development. R. DeKeyser, A. Juffs, Cognitive Considerations in L2 Learning. Z. Han, L. Selinker, Fossilization in L2 Learners. M. Swain, The Output Hypothesis: Theory and Research. E. Tarone, Speaking in a Second Language. M. Rost, L2 Listening. T. Wiley, Second Language Literacy and Biliteracy. P. Byrd, Instructed Grammar. D. Eskey, Reading in a Second Language. P. Nation, Teaching and Learning Vocabulary. J. Hedgcock, Taking Stock of Research and Pedagogy in L2 Writing. E. Hinkel, Analyses of Second Language Text and What Can Be Learned From Them-- Part V: Methods and Curricula in Second Language Teaching. Introduction. S. Savignon, Communicative Language Teaching: Strategies and Goals. S. Fotos, Traditional and Grammar Translation Methods for Second Language Teaching. J. Williams, Focus-on-Form Instruction. A. Snow, A Model of Academic Literacy for Integrated Language and Content Instruction. R. Ellis, Instructed Language Learning and Task-Based Teaching. M. Celce-Murcla, E. Oishtain, Discourse-Based Approaches: A New Framework for Second Language Teaching and Learning. C. Chapelle, Computer-Assisted Language Learning. N. Anderson, L2 Learning Strategies-- Part VI: Second Language Testing and Assessment. T. McNamara, Introduction: The Social Turn in Language Assessment. A. Kunnan, Social and Political Contexts of Language Assessment. A. Davies, C. Elder, Validity and Validation in Language Testing. M. Chalhoub-Deville, C. Deville, A Look Back at and Forward to What Language Testers Measure. T. L.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This landmark volume provides a broad-based, state-of-the-art overview of current knowledge and research into second language teaching and learning. Fifty-seven chapters are organized in 8 thematic sections: *social contexts of second language learning; *research methodologies in second-language learning, acquisition, and teaching; *contributions of applied linguistics to the teaching and learning of discrete and inextricably intertwined second language skills; *second language processes and development; *teaching methods and curricula; *issues in second or foreign language testing and assessment; *identity, culture, and critical pedagogy in second language teaching and learning; and *important considerations in language planning and policies. The Handbook of Research in Second Language Teaching and Learning is intended for researchers, practitioners, graduate students and faculty in teacher education and applied linguistics programs, teachers, teacher trainers, teacher trainees, curriculum and material developers, and all other professionals in the field of second language teaching and learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- edited by Eli Hinkel.