Scientific integrity : text and cases in responsible conduct of research
- Macrina, Francis L.
- 3rd ed.
- Washington, D.C. : ASM Press, c2005.
- Physical description
- xxv, 402 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Methods, manners, and the responsible conduct of research / Francis Macrina
- Ethics and the scientist / Bruce A. Fuchs and Francis L. Macrina
- Mentoring / Francis L. Macrina
- Authorship and peer review / Francis L. Macrina
- Use of humans in biomedical experimentation / Paul S. Swerdlow
- Use of animals in biomedical experimentation / Bruce A. Fuchs and Francis L. Macrina
- Managing competing interests / S. Gaylen Bradley
- Collaborative research / Francis L. Macrina
- Ownership of data and intellectual property / Thomas D. Mays
- Genetic technology and scientific integrity / Cindy L. Munro
- Scientific record keeping / Francis L. Macrina
- Surveys as a tool for training in scientific integrity / Michael W. Kalichman
- Student exercises
- Standards of conduct
- Sample protocols for human and animal experimentation
- Example of a U.S. patent specification
- Laboratory notebook instructions.
- Publisher's Summary
- "Scientific Integrity: Text and Cases in Responsible Conduct of Research, Third Edition", presents an important revision of a best-selling text in the expanding field of responsible conduct of research training. This book presents the core topics for graduate and postdoctoral trainees and professional researchers on the principles of scientific integrity. It contains highly relevant interactive case studies, 30% of which are new to third edition, written by practicing scientists on the front lines of ethical issues. This book covers essential topics related to the conduct of scientific investigation, such as guidelines, policies, standards, and codes. It offers a companion Web site, maintained by the author, containing a rich collection of Internet resources. It also includes discussion questions to promote critical thought. It provides updates to most appendix material.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Francis L. Macrina.