Barbie nation [videorecording] : an unauthorized tour
- [San Francisco, CA] : El Rio Productions LLC, c2003.
- Physical description
- 1 videodisc (82 min.) : sd., col. and b&w sequences ; 4 3/4 in.
- The documentary explores the history of the Barbie doll, through older and contemporary clips. Includes interviews with Barbie fans, foes, and fetishists ; these are people of all ages and sexes who either covet or revile Barbie. Visits conventions and auctions, where early dolls and memorabilia are bought and sold. Also tells the story of Barbie's creator and Mattel co-founder: Ruth Handler, whose commentary runs throughout the film. Handler adapted a 1950s German doll for adults called Lilli, to create Barbie, named after her daughter.
- Publication date
- New Day Films ; directed and produced by Susan Stern ; written by Susan Stern.
- Title Variation
- Unauthorized tour
- Originally produced in 1998 by El Rio Productions LLC.
- Dolby digital stereo.
- Video guide inserted in container.
- Features: optional audio director's commentary; a short film "Filmmakers"; 5 short Barbie films: Weird Barbies, Black Barbie, Barbie on the street, Collector's Barbies, The handlers at home.
- Production Credits
- Camera, Fawn Yacker ... [et al.] ; editor, Elizabeth Finlayson ; music, Ed Bogas.
- Narrated by Susan Stern.
- Included Work
- Weird Barbies.
- Black Barbie.
- Barbie on the street.
- Collector's Barbies.
- Handlers at home.