- Publication date:
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2004.
- viii, 428 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. ) and index.
- Testing the boundaries between speech and music
- Testing the boundaries between the visual arts and music
- The new music theater
- Fuller universes of music
- New discipline : the twelve-tone method
- Music, social responsibility, and politics
- Testing the boundaries between popular and high art.
- Publisher's Summary:
This work offers not only important statements by composers and critics, but also musical speculations by poets, novelists, philosophers, and others - all of which combine with Daniel Albright's commentary to place modernist music in the context of a broader intellectual history.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Albright, Daniel, 1945-