Tin Pan Alley : an encyclopedia of the golden age of American song
- Jasen, David A.
- New York : Routledge, 2003.
- Physical description
- xvi, 475 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
ML102 .P66 J37 2003
- In-library use ML102 .P66 J37 2003
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 453-457) and indexes.
- Abrahams, Maurice-- Andrews Sisters-- Animal Dances-- Archer, Harry-- Armstrong, Louis-- Astaire, Fred-- Autry, Gene-- Bailey, Mildred-- Ballroom Dances of the Ragtime Era (1900s-1910s)-- Berlin, Irving-- Blake, Eubie-- Brice, Fanny-- Broadway Shows and Revue Songs-- Calloway, Cab-- Cantor, Eddie-- Carmichael, Hoagy-- Chappell and Company-- Charleston, The-- Cohan, George M.-- Coward, Noel-- Craig, Francis (Jackson)-- Crosby, Bing-- Cugat, Xavier-- Day, Doris-- Disney Cartoon Songs-- Dorsey, Jimmy-- Dorsey, Tommy-- Durante, Jimmy-- Eddy, Nelson-- Ellington, Duke-- Freed, Arthur-- Gaiety Building-- Garland, Judy-- Gershwin, George-- Gershwin, Ira-- Godfrey, Arthur-- Goodman, Benny-- Hammerstein, Oscar II-- Handy, WC-- Jazz in the Tin Pan Alley Era-- Jitterbug, The-- Jolson, Al-- Jones, Spike-- Joplin, Scott-- Keith, Benjamin F.-- Kern, Jerome-- King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band-- Latin-American Dances-- Lombardo, Guy-- Martin, Dean-- Mercer, Johnny-- Merman, Ethel-- Miller, Glenn-- Morton, Jelly Roll-- Orchestrations-- Piracy-- Plugging-- Pollack, Lew-- Porter, Cole-- Ragtime-- Rose, Fred-- Shaw, Artie-- Shimmy, The-- Shore Dinah-- Silent Film Music-- Sinatra, Frank-- Tucker, Sophie-- Vallee, Rudy-- Vaudeville and the Rise of Tin Pan Alley-- Waller, Thomas 'Fats'-- Weill, Kurt-- World War II Songs-- Young, Joe-- Ziegfeld Follies, The-- and many more...
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- For nearly a century, New York's famous 'Tin Pan Alley' was the centre of popular music publishing in the US. It was where song writing became a profession and where songs were made-to-order for the biggest stars. Covering the full history of Tin Pan Alley, from its humble beginnings in the 1860s to its demise following World War II, this is the first resource to identify its major publishers, composers, lyricists, singers, dances and bands. Entries are arranged alphabetically and include names, birth and death dates, brief biographies and bibliographical listings. This will be an eminently useful reference work for libraries catering to music teachers, students, professors, musicians, writers and fans of popular song.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- David A. Jasen.