Testing and standards : a brief encyclopedia
- Wilde, Sandra.
- Portsmouth, NH : Heinemann, c2002.
- Physical description
- x, 110 p. ; 18 cm.
LB3051 .W4966 2002
- Unknown LB3051 .W4966 2002
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 97-104)
- Accountability (Consumers, Taxpayers and Citizens)-- Authenticity in Assessment-- Carrot and Stick (Standards, testing and Motiviation)-- Criterion- and Norm-Referenced Tests-- Curriculum Alignment-- Emotional Aspects of Testing-- Equity-- Essential Readings-- Ethics-- Gain Scores and Value Added-- Grade Level-- Group Versus Individual Assessment-- High Stakes-- How Much Do Tests Costs?-- internet Resources-- Knowing Something Verus Answering Test Questions-- Lake Wobegon Effect-- The National Assessment of Eduational Progress (NAEP)-- Passing (Cutoff) scores-- Percentiles and Stanines-- Politics of Testing-- Professional Organizations-- Reading Comprehension Assessment-- Reliability-- SAT Tests-- Spelling Assessment (as an Exemplar of Broader Issues)-- Standard Deviation-- Standardized-- Standards-- Test Security-- Test Specifications-- Testing Teachers-- Validity-- What Should an Educated Person Know?-- Where Do We Go From Here?.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Teachers today have a lot of questions about where standards and tests come from, what they mean, and how they're used. Sandra Wilde packs this handy reference guide with clear and concise explanations of this convoluted, and increasingly important, world. She defines technical terms, makes sense of the ethics and politics involved, AND provides the ammunition to challenge policies relating to testing and standards that aren't benefiting students. In a series of miniessays, Wilde gives you the information you need to see if your state's standards and tests have been well developed, know how passing scores for state tests are set, determine whether schools are using unethical practices to raise test scores, and check whether your local newspaper describes test results accurately.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Sandra Wilde.