Though they seldom receive the attention accorded their professional counterparts, amateur scientists have made some of the most exciting breakthroughs in the history of science. This work presents a collection of biographies of great amateur scientists and their discoveries.
- The father of genetics / Gregor Johann Mendel
- Comet hunter / David H. Levy
- Cepheid star decoder / Henrietta Swan Leavitt
- Discoverer of oxygen / Joseph Priestley
- Electromagnetic lawgiver / Michael Faraday
- Father of radio astronomy / Grote Reber
- Communications satellite visionary / Arthur C. Clarke
- First modern archaeologist / Thomas Jefferson
- Dinosaur hunter / Susan Hendrickson
- Bacteriophages discoverer / Felix d'Herelle.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)