The great popes through history : an encyclopedia
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2002.
- Physical description
- 2 v. (xvii, 593 p.) : ill. ; 27cm.
- Coppa, Frank J.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction-- The Early Papacy-- Introduction by Gerard H. Ettlinger-- Peter (d. c. 64 A.D.) by Jean-Pierre M. Ruiz-- Clement I (c. 91-101) by Margaret A. Schatkin-- Callistus I (217-222) by Michael S. Slusser-- Damasus (366-384) by Louis J. Swift-- Celestine I (422-432 by Joseph F. Kelly-- Leo I (440-461) by Philip A. McShane-- Pelagius I (556-561) by Robert B. Eno (d. 1997)-- The Medieval Papacy-- Introduction by Glenn Olsen-- Gregory I (590-604) by Carole E. Straw-- Gregory VII (1073-1085) by Uta-Renate Blumenthal-- Urban II (1088-1099) by Robert Somerville-- Alexander III (1159-1181) by Kenneth Pennington-- Innocent III (1198-1216) by James M. Powell-- Gregory IX (1227-1241) by Robert C. Figueira-- Innocent IV (1243-1254) by Thomas F. Madden-- Boniface VIII (1294-1303) by Richard Kay-- The Renaissance and Reformation Papacy-- Introduction by Margery A. Ganz-- John XXII (1316-1334) by Carol Lansing-- Gregory XI (1370-1378) by Laura de Angelis-- Martin V (1417-1431) by Alison Williams Lewin-- Eugenius IV (1431-1447) by Jacqueline Gutwirth-- Nicholas V (1447-1455) by James R. Banker-- Pius II (1458-1464) by Edward D. English-- Sixtus (1471-1484) by Lorenz Boninger-- Julius II (1503-1513) by Nelson Minnich-- Leo X (1513-1521) by Carol Bresnahan Menning-- Clement VII (1523-1534) by Kenneth Gouwens-- Paul III (1534-1539) by William V. Hudon-- The Early Modern Papacy-- Introduction by William V. Hudon-- Plus V (1566-1572) by Sergio Pagano-- Gregory XIII (1572-1585) by Frederick J. McGinness-- Sixtus V (1585-1590) by Carla Penuti-- Clement VIII (1592-1605) by Kathleen M. Comerford-- Paul V (1605-1621) by William V. Hudon-- Urban VIII (1623-1644) by Richard J. Blackwell-- Innocent XI (1676-1689) by Francesco C. Cesareo-- Innovent XII (1691-1700) by Brendan Dooley-- Benedict XII (1691-1700) by John P. Guarino-- Clement XIII (1758-1769) by Hanns Gross-- The Modern Papacy-- Introduction by Frank J. Coppa-- Pius VII (1800-1823) by Alan J. Reinerman-- Pius IX (1846-1878) by Frank J. Coppa-- Leo XIII (1878-1903) by Emiliana P. Noether-- Pius X (1903-1914) by William Roberts-- Benedict XV (1914-1922) by Joseph A. Biesinger-- Pius XI (1922-1939) by Peter C. Kent-- Pius XII (1939-1958) by Charles Delzell-- John XXIII (1958-1963) by Patrick Granfield-- Paul VI (1963-1978) by Richard Wolff-- John Paul II by Roy Domenico.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Concentrating on the most important popes, this work provides an overview of one of the oldest and most influential institutions. Divided into five sections - the early, the medieval, the Renaissance and Reformation, the early modern and the modern papacy - each entry offers an in-depth analysis of the most notable popes from those time periods. Section introductions place the popes in historical perspective and include general bibliographic references for the entire age. Individual essays provide more specific bibliographic references. The book focuses exclusively on those popes who played a crucial role not only in the institution of the papacy, but also in European and world events.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Frank J. Coppa.