The Tchaikovsky handbook : a guide to the man and his music
- Library has: v.1-
ML134 .C42 P69 2002 V.1
ML134 .C42 P69 2002 V.2
- Library has: v.1-
- Langston, Brett.
- Includes bibliographical references, discographies, videographies, filmographies and indexes.
- VOLUME I: Thematic Catalogue of Works, Catalogue of Photographs, Autobiography Preface List of Illustrations Abbreviations Introduction Chronology Catalogue of Works I. Operas II. Ballets III. Incidental Music IV. Symphonies V. Suites VI. Orchestral Music VII. Concertos and Concertante Pieces VIII. Cantatas IX. Choruses and Vocal Ensembles X. Songs and Duets XI. Chamber Works XII. Piano Music XIII. Student Exercises XIV. Arrangements XV. Musical Jokes and Album Leaves XVI. Unfinished Works and Unrealised Projects XVII. Books XVIII. Articles XIX. Interviews XX. Translations XXI. Poems and Juvenile Works XXII. Notebooks XXIII. Diaries Catalogue of Photographs Autobiography of P. I. Chaikovskii Lists and Indexes List of Works by Opus Number Chronological List of Compositions List of Titles and Variant Titles General Index VOLUME II. Bibliography Preface List of Illustrations Abbreviations Catalogues and Bibliographies Catalogues Bibliographies Discographies Chronologies Sources and Documents Compilations Scores Literary Works Correspondence Diaries and Notebooks Memoirs Pictorial Collections Appreciation Collected Essays General Museums and Monuments Conferences and Exhibitions Biography General Childhood and Youth Education and Employment Residences and Travel Personal Relationships Views and Opinions Psychology and Health Death and Burial Miscellaneous Works General Stage Works Orchestral Works Concertos Vocal Works Chamber-Instrumental Works Literary Works Miscellania Juvenile Literature Fiction Short Chronology of Tchaikovsky's Life and Works Indexes Index of Names List of Journals and Newspapers.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This is a "A Choice Outstanding Academic Title 2003". Here is a scholarly resource of inestimable worth. It is a comprehensive guide to all known Tchaikovsky resource materials - every composition, finished or unfinished; all the writings, every piece of correspondence, all the diaries, every interview; all the photographs (with thumbnail images); and everything written about Tchaikovsky. This is a tremendous bibliographical undertaking and will raise the bar for Tchaikovsky scholarship overnight.In addition to the basic bibliographical data, the catalogue of works gives information on the circumstances surrounding the composition of the work and its earliest performances, arrangements for others instruments, where the manuscripts are (and any peculiarities that they exhibit), publication history, and any related works (for example, other works in which Tchaikovsky used the same melodic material). "The Tchaikovsky Handbook" will be indispensable for anyone doing research on the composer or any of his works, anyone writing notes for concert programs, every music library.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- compiled by Alexander Poznansky and Brett Langston.
- Russian music studies