Artists books in the modern era 1870-2000 : the Reva and David Logan collection of illustrated books
- Johnson, Robert Flynn.
- London : Thames & Hudson ; [San Francisco] : Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, 2001.
- Physical description
- 302 p. : col. ill. ; 29 cm.
The Art & Architecture Library is closed July 25 - Sept. 9 during its relocation to the new McMurtry Building. The collection is not accessible during this period. Please contact Interlibrary Borrowing to obtain this title.
N7433.3 .J66 2001
- Unknown N7433.3 .J66 2001
- Stein, Donna.
- Preface-- Essay by Donna Stein-- Essay by Robert Flynn Johnson-- Catalogue - 180 books, c. 160 shown one to a page, c. 20 in double-page spreads Selected Bibliography-- The Logan Collection - all 400 works in the collection listed.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- At the beginning of the 20th century, artists' books abandoned extravagant and costly editions in favour of aesthetic and technological experimentation produced through inexpensive photomechanical means. Designed for distribution to a wide audience and printed in large editions, these volumes were often bold, colourful and accessible. The Logan Collection, the best of which is presented here, surveys late nineteenth and twentieth-century developments in the genre of artists' books. Notable for its masterpieces and the superb quality of its more than four hundred artists' books, it provides the most comprehensive historical overview of the genre available today. Some of the most prestigious publishers of the 20th century - among them Ambroise Vollard, Albert Skira, Gerald Cramer and Iliazd - have engaged the imagination of the finest artists - among them. Picasso, Malevich, Kandinsky, Kokoschka and Matisse - to collaborate on the creation of the vibrant publications celebrated in this volume.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Robert Flynn Johnson ; essay by Donna Stein.
- Includes index.
- Published on the occasion of the exhibition Artists' Books in the Modern Era, 1870-2000: the Reva and David Logan Collection of Illustrated Books, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, 6 October, 2001-6 January, 2002.