Organizations and strategies in astronomy
- Dordrecht ; Boston : Kluwer Academic Publishers, c2000-
- Physical description
- v. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.+ 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.) <in v. 5>
- Astrophysics and space science library ; v. 256, 266, 280, 296, 310, 335, 343.
- Heck, A. (André)
- Includes bibliographical references.
- / Foreword (C. Cesarsky/ESO) / Editorial / The Evolving Sociology of Ground-Based Optical and Infrared Astronomy at the Start of the 21st Century (J.R. Roy & M. Mountain/Gemini Obs.) / Building Astronomy Research Capacity in Africa (P. Martinez/SAAO) / Astronomy in New Zealand (J.B. Hearnshaw/Univ. Canterbury) / The Current State of Austrian Astronomy (S. Schindler/Univ. Innsbruck) / Challenges and Opportunities in Operating a High-Altitude Site (R. Stencel/Denver Univ.) / An Insider's Perspective on Observing Time Selection Committees (J.L. Linsky/JILA) / Evaluation and Selection of Solar Observing Programs (H. Uitenbroek/NSO) / Evaluation and Selection of Radio Astronomy Programs: The Case of the lOOm Radio Telescope at Effelsberg (R. Schwartz, A. Kraus & J.A. Zensus/MPIfR) / The Development of HST Science Metrics (J.P. Madrid, F.D. Macchetto, Cl. Leitherer/STScI & G. Meylan/EPFL) / The Science News Metrics (C.A. Christian/STScI & G. Davidson/Northrop Grumman) / A Citation-Based Measure of Scientific Impact Within Astronomy (F.R. Pearce/Nottingham Univ. & D.A. Forbes/SwinbUrne Univ.) / A Comparison of Citation Counts in the Science Citation Index and the NASA Astrophysics Data System (H.A. Abt/KPNO) / Letters to the Editor of the AAS Newsletter: A Personal Story (J.L. Linsky/JILA) / Space Law (J. Hermida/Daihousie Univ.) / Search Strategies for Exoplanets (R. Rebolo/IAC) / IAU Initiatives Relating to the Near Earth-Object Impact Hazard (H. Rickman/Uppsala Obs.) / AFOEV: Serving Variable-Star Observers since 1921 -- An Interview with Emile Schweitzer/AFOEV / The International Planetarium Society: A Community of Planetarians Facing the Challenges of the 21st Century (C.C. Petersen/Loch Ness Prod.) / The Hands-On Universe Project (R. Ferlet/IAP & C.R. Pennypacker/UCB) / Outreach from the Jodrell Bank Observatory (I. Morison & T. O'Brien/JBO) / Astronomy Multimedia Public Outreach in France and Beyond (A. Cirou/Ciel & Espace) / Astronomers and the Media: What Reporters Expect (T. Siegfried & A. Witze/Dallas Morning News & Nature) / Updated Bibliography of Socio-Astronomy.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is the sixth volume under the title "Organizations and Strategies in Astronomy (OSA)". The OSA series is intended to cover a large range of fields and themes. In practice, one could say that all aspects of astronomy-related life and environment are considered in the spirit of sharing specific expertise and lessons learned. The chapters of this book are dealing with socio-dynamical aspects of the astronomy (and related space sciences) community: characteristics of organizations, strategies for development, legal issues, operational techniques, observing practicalities, educational policies, journal and magazine profiles, public outreach, publication studies, relationships with the media, research communication, evaluation and selection procedures, research indicators, national specificities, contemporary history, and so on. The experts contributing to this volume have done their best to write in a way understandable to readers not necessarily hyperspecialized in astronomy while providing specific detailed information and sometimes enlightening 'lessons learned' sections. The book concludes with an updated bibliography of publications related to socio-astronomy and to the interactions of the astronomy community with the society at large. This volume will be most usefully read by researchers, teachers, editors, publishers, librarians, sociologists of science, research planners and strategists, project managers, public-relations officers, plus those in charge of astronomy-related organizations, as well as by students aiming at a career in astronomy or related space science.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Beginning date
- edited by André Heck.
- Astrophysics and space science library ; v. 256, 266, 280, 296, 310, 335, 343