Counting the census? : Race, group identity, and the evasion of politics
- Skerry, Peter.
- Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, c2000.
- Physical description
- x, 261 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 211-248) and index.
- Census politics : boundaries and bureaucracies
- Creating racial and ethnic categories
- The undercount : some causes and proposed remedies
- The politics of census adjustment
- The census in the new American political system.
- Publisher's Summary
- The United States Constitution has been caught up in America's racial dilemmas ever since it first instructed that a slave been counted as only three-fifths of a person. This book places census controversies in the broader context of American politics and society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Peter Skerry.