Book of Hours and Psalter
- Corporate Author
- Catholic Church.
- Latin. In Latin, gothic liturgic hand.
- [Bruges?, ca. 1450]
- Physical description
- 1 v. (221 leaves) : vellum; 15 cm. x 11 cm.
All materials are stored offsite. Request items 2 business days in advance. Maximum 5 items per day.
Manuscript Collection: request at Special Collections service desk
MSS CODEX M0579 CB
- In-library use MSS CODEX M0579 CB
- A Calendar (f.1); the Fifteen O's (f.7); Memorials to the Saints (f.13); the Hours of the Virgin, Use of Sarum, with Matins (f.22), Lauds (f.29) incorporating further Memorials, Prime (f.46), Terce (f.45), Sext (f.48), None (f.50), Vespers (f.52) and Compline (f.54); the Joys of the Virgin (f.58v) preceded by a long rubric telling that St. Thomas Becket had the text revealed to him by the Virgin Mary, followed by other efficacious and votive prayers ascribed to St. Jerome and Bede; the Penitential Psalms (f.69), Psalms of Degree and Litany; and, very unusually in a Book of Hours, the whole Psalter and Canticles (ff.86-221). Two full-page miniatures, eleven large illuminated initials, and twenty-six historiated initials.
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Purchased, 1991.
- Nineteenth-century bookplate of L.C. Berger and Henry Hucks Gibbs (first Lord Aldenham).
- Action note
- Cons. Trans. #681.