De consolatione philosophiae : manuscript fragment
- Boethius, -524
- Latin. In Latin, with some glosses in Italian, Gothica rotunda script.
- [Northern Italy, 135-]
- Physical description
- 1 item (34 leaves); 26 cm.
All materials are stored offsite. Request items 2 business days in advance. Maximum 5 items per day.
Manuscript Collection: request at Special Collections service desk
- In-library use MISC 079
- This copy is probably the work of several scribes. The interlinear and marginal spaces have substantial glosses made by contemporary readers and/or teachers. Some scribal errors are corrected. While the script actually appears to be 13th century, the appearance of a posthorn watermark indicates a date after the mid-1350s.
- Publication date
- Reported to: Bibliothèque Nationale pre-1600 manuscript census.
- Boethius, a Roman philosopher, wrote this work while in prison at Pavia where he was finally executed without trial, having been accused of conspiring against the Roman ruler, Theodoric.