Hereford (Hereford and Worcester) : crusading tax receipt, 1308
- Latin. In Latin.
- Physical description
- 1 item (7 lines): vellum; 9 x 23 cm.
All materials are stored offsite. Request items 2 business days in advance. Maximum 5 items per day.
Manuscript Collection: request at Special Collections service desk
- In-library use MISC 085
- Receipts issued by the bishops of Lincoln and London for £365. 15s. 3d. received from the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, being their contribution for the second year of the papal taxation for the needs of the Holy Land.
- Baldock, Ralph, Bishop of London.
- Clement V, Pope, approximately 1260-1314
- Dalderby, John, Bishop of Lincoln.
- Church history > Middle Ages, 600-1500.
- Crusades > Finance.
- Hereford (England) > History > 14th century.
- 14th century CHR > England.
- Medieval and Renaissance studies > England > 14th century.
- Publication date
- Seals of the bishops of London and Lincoln.
- Reported to: Bibliothèque Nationale pre-1600 manuscript census.
- Tithes, ostensibly for papal purposes but often augmenting the royal revenue, were imposed on the clergy at various times. Clement V specifically defined the tax (imposed 1305) as being for a crusade. The official collectors were John Dalderby (bishop of Lincoln, 1300-1320) and Ralph Baldock (bishop of London, 1304-1313).
- Purchased, 1978. Phillipps ms. 32081.