Butler's lives of the saints
- Library has: 1-
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.1
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.2
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.3
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.4
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.5
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.6
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.7
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.8
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.9
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.10
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.11
BX4654 .B8 1995 V.12
- Library has: 1-
- Includes bibliographical references.
-  January / revised by Paul Burns
-  February / revised by Paul Burns
-  March / revised by Teresa Rodrigues
-  April / revised by Peter Doyle
-  May / revised by David Hugh Farmer
-  June / revised by Kathleen Jones
-  August / revised by John Cumming
-  September / revised by Sarah Fawcett Thomas
-  October / revised by Peter Doyle
-  November / revised by Sarah Fawcett Thomas
-  December / revised by Kathleen Jones.
- Publisher's Summary
- This December volume is part of a complete revision of "Butler's Lives of the Saints". It comes in 12 volumes which correspond to the months of the year. How to live a Christian life of faith is a question every generation of Christians has sought to answer. Invariably, they have turned to the lives of the saints. They offer inspiration, hope and a clear challenge to all Christians. Saints, the popular heroes and heroines of every age, also have an importance beyond the inspiration they provide. Numerous conferences and publications testify to the increased attention being given to their lives as richly documented sources for the study of social and cultural, as well as religious history. This is the first revised edition since the major Calendar reform of 1969-70. It is based on the new "Roman Martyrology" being finalized by the Congregation for Divine Worship. There is a more worldwide emphasis, resulting in more expanded coverage of saints from all continents. There is also in-depth historical and contextual background on major saints, and the inclusion of many new saints and the blessed from recent decades. Some major entries include: Aidan of Lindisfarne, Ambrose, Anselm, Antony of Egypt, Bernadette of Boniface, Columba of Iona, Cuthbert, Don Bosco, Francis Xavier, Hildegard of Bingen, Teresa of Avila and Thomas Becket.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Beginning date
- general consultant editor, David Hugh Farmer ; managing editor, Paul Burns ; general introduction by David Hugh Farmer.