Encyclopedia of bilingualism and bilingual education
- Clevedon ; Philadelphia, PA : Multilingual Matters, c1998.
- Physical description
- x, 758 p. : ill. (some col.), col. maps ; 29 cm.
LC3707 .E53 1998
- In-library use LC3707 .E53 1998
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 708-747) and indexes.
- Part 1 Individual bilingualism: what is a bilingual?-- bilingualism and the family-- the everday use of bilinguals-- bilingualism and thinking-- measurement of bilingualism. Part 2 Bilingualism in society: bilingualism in communities-- how many languages are there in the world? - languages in contact, the mapping of languages in the world, presentation of language maps-- language change-- language planning and evolution-- bilingualism and culture-- bilingualism and politics. Part 3 Bilingual education: the aims of bilingual education-- weak forms of bilingual education-- strong forms of bilingual education-- bilingual education and the community-- bilingual education in the United States-- bilingual eduation for students with special needs-- bilingual education for the deaf and hearing impaired-- language awareness-- multiculturalism in education-- the bilingual classroom-- factors affecting second languae acquistion-- second language learning in the classroom.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This encyclopedia is divided into three sections: individual bilingualism; bilingualism in society and bilingual education. It includes many pictures, graphs, maps and diagrams. The book concludes with a comprehensive bibliography on bilingualism.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- [edited by] Colin Baker and Sylvia Prys Jones.
- Title Variation
- Bilingualism and bilingual education