Cassell's encyclopedia of queer myth, symbol, and spirit : gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender lore
- Conner, Randy P.
- London ; Herndon, VA : Cassell, 1997.
- Physical description
- xiii, 382 p. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -371) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- An A-Z reference source on the theme of same-sex desire, gender variance and the sacred, this book examines the often-suppressed spiritual dimension of homosexuality. Its coverage includes archetypal figures such as deities, spirits and the characters of fairy tales; sacred texts including religious narratives; myths and legends; symbols and metaphors; persons and groups embodying the domain, such as Native American Indian berdaches; and works of art, including those of painting, sculpture, music, dance, drama and film. The text is arranged alphabetically, primarily by the name of the deity, person, ritual or symbolic concept or object. It is fully cross-referenced and contains two indices, one by attribute and the other by cultural or spiritual tradition.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Homosexuality > Mythology > Encyclopedias.
- Homosexuality > Religious aspects > Encyclopedias.
- Homosexuality in art > Encyclopedias.
- Lesbianism > Mythology > Encyclopedias.
- Lesbianism > Religious aspects > Encyclopedias.
- Lesbianism in art > Encyclopedias.
- Bisexuality > Mythology > Dictionaries.
- Bisexuality > Religious aspects > Dictionaries.
- Bisexuality in art > Encyclopedias.
- Publication date
- Randy P. Conner, David Hatfield Sparks, Mariya Sparks ; foreword by Gloria E. Anzaldúa.
- Title Variation
- Encyclopedia of queer myth, symbol, and spirit