China avant-garde : counter-currents in art and culture
- Berlin : Haus der Kulturen der Welt ; Hong Kong : Oxford University Press, 1994, c1993.
- Physical description
- 323 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 28 cm.
N7345 .C446 1993
- Unknown N7345 .C446 1993
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 319-323).
- Publisher's Summary
- Since the mid-1980s, China has seen a flowering of artistic activity that has paralleled and often commented on the explosion in material culture brought about by economic reform. Developed from a catalogue that accompanied a major exhibition of modern Chinese art, this volume provides an overview of recent cultural developments and presents examples of works by 60 of the most prominent and influential Chinese artists active today. The careers of 16 artists are profiled in detail, with discussion of each one's major works and colour reproductions of selected pieces. Highlights from the works of a further 44 are also presented, with shorter discussions of their achievements and colour reproductions of samples of their work. Articles by prominent Chinese art historians detail recent accomplishments in the arts, and present discussions of developments in cinema, literature (including theatre and poetry), Chinese classical and popular music, and photography.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Beginning date
- [editors: Jochen Noth, Wolfger Pöhlmann, Kai Reschke].