Dante col sito, et forma dell'inferno
All materials are stored offsite. Request items 2 business days in advance. Maximum 5 items per day.
Gunst Collection (non-circulating)
Z239.6 .P34 D36 1515 T
- In-library use Z239.6 .P34 D36 1515 T
Rare Books Collection (non-circulating)
PQ4302 .B15 1515 T
- In-library use PQ4302 .B15 1515 T
- Paganino, Alessandro.
- Publication date
- Imprint from Nuovo.
- One of two eds., both without imprint, imposed in long 24mo format. Both are assigned to Alessandro Paganino on the basis of the format and the italic type in which they are set. This ed. is foliated in arabic numerals; the other ed. is foliated in Roman numerals. Cf. Cornell Dante collection.
- Paganino was active in Venice ca. 1509-1517 and then at Toscolano ca. 1519-1538. This ed. has been variously assigned to Venice, ca. 1515 or 1516, and to Toscolano, ca. 1520. Paganino eds. in long 24mo format and with foliation in roman numerals are known with both Venice and Toscolano imprints dated between 1515 and 1521; Paganino eds. with foliation in arabic numerals are known from the 1520s.
- Signatures: A-X⁸ 2A-2D⁸ 2E⁴.
- Several errors in foliation; leaves 9, 10, 15 foliated in Roman numerals.
- The ill. consist of a double-page woodcut map of hell (leaves 202v-r), a double-page woodcut diagram of the sins punished in hell (leaves v-r), and a single-page woodcut diagram of the sins punished in purgatory (leaf v).
- Letter of Alessandro Paganino to Giulio de' Medici (elected Pope Clement VII in 1523) on leaf 1v.
- Nuovo, A. Alessandro Paganino, p. 157, no. 28.
- Koch, T.W. Cornell Dante collection, I, p. 7.
- BM STC Italian, 1465-1600, p. 209.
- Stanford copy 1 (GNST): Binding: gilt decorated red morocco; green silk end-papers. Binding error: last leaf bound verso recto, so that ill. of sins of inferno does not face its other half on v.
- Stanford copy 1 (RBC): Provenance: Giorgio Fanan (bookplate). Imperfect: lacks signatures a, 2D & 2E, which are replaced with leaves evidently reproduced from Roman numeral copy, so that 1st gathering is numbered [I]-VIII and last leaves are numbered CXCIII-CXCVIII, 199, [blank], 201, 202.