Holland's golden age in America : collecting the art of Rembrandt, Vermeer, and Hals
- [New York, N.Y.] : The Frick Collection ; University Park, Pennsylvania : The Pennsylvania State University Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xix, 242 pages : illustrations (some color), portraits (some color) ; 27 cm.
ND646 .H68 2014
- Unavailable ND646 .H68 2014
- Quodbach, Esmée, editor.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages (213-221) and index.
- Introduction : a taste for Dutch art / Peter C. Sutton
- The early years : the formation of America's taste for Dutch art. "Pictures chiefly painted in oils, on boards" : Dutch paintings in colonial New York / Louisa Wood Ruby ; Robert Gilmor, Jr.'s "real" Dutch paintings / Lance Humphries ; Collecting old Dutch masters : originals, interpretations, copies, and reproductions / Annette Stott ; Wilhelm von Bode and collecting in America / Catherine B. Scallen
- The gilded age : great collections and collectors of seventeenth-century Dutch art. Golden age paintings in the gilded age : New York collectors and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1870-1920 / Walter Liedtke ; "They leave us as they find us, they never elevate" : John G. Johnson and the Dutch masters / Lloyd DeWitt ; Collecting Vermeer, 1887-1919 / Esmée Quodbach ; Collecting Dutch paintings in Boston / Ronni Baer ; The Dutch painting collection at the National Gallery of Art / Arthur K. Wheelock, Jr.
- The twentieth century : the dissemination of Dutch art across America and the Dutch reaction. The passionate eye of W.R. Valentiner : shaping the canon of Dutch painting in America / Dennis P. Weller ; Unexpected rivals for the Dutch : competing with the Americans for Holland's national heritage in Great Britain and elsewhere / Peter Hecht ; Golden opportunities : collecting Rembrandt in southern California / Anne T. Woollett ; Has the great age of collecting Dutch old master paintings come to an end? / Quentin Buvelot.
- "Essays by American and Dutch scholars and museum curators explore the collecting and reception of seventeenth-century Dutch painting in America, from the colonial era through the Gilded Age to today"--Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Esmée Quodbach.
- The Frick Collection studies in the history of art collecting in America