Reading between the lines : activities for developing social awareness literacy
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield, c2014.
- Physical description
- xiii, 164 p. : ill. ; 24 cm
LC192 .R43 2014
- Unknown LC192 .R43 2014
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Introduction-Joanne Kilgour Dowdy Section 1: Addressing Social Justice through Literacy Activity #1 Read a Book, Watch a Movie: Exploring the Dynamics of Social Justice through Literature and Film Tiffany Powell-Lambright Activity #2 Using Children's Literature to Explore Positive Gender Role Models Michelle J. Sobolak and April A. Mattix Activity #3 Wearing Your Words: Teaching Language Equity and Appropriateness Jennifer M. Cunningham Activity #4 Attitude Check: Students Interpret Texts from Multiple Perspectives Joanne Kilgour Dowdy Activity #5 Using Picture Books to Introduce and Extend Student Understanding of Social Justice William Bintz Activity #6 Sing, Dance, Act, Paint or Draw! Active Knowledge through Performance Book Reports Teresa J. Rishel Activity #7 Multicultural Literature as a Prompt for Teaching about Social Justice Claudette Thompson Activity #8 Can Creative Writing Be Taught? Mel Glenn Activity #9 "Pump It Up" Writing Prompt Activity Joanne Kilgour Dowdy Activity #10 Sentence Dissection Andrea Honigsfeld Activity #11 Teaching Peace Literacy through Literature: A Lesson On Skin Sandra Golden Activity #12 Using Reading Logs to Motivate English Language Learners from Multicultural Backgrounds to Read and Write Yang Gao Activity #13 Creating Shared Narratives: Using Language, Conflict and Choice To Break Down Cross-Cultural Barriers Gabriel Swarts Activity #14 Online Autobiographies and Discussions in Global and Multicultural Teacher Education: A Safe Place to Discuss Culture, Identify, Power, & Privilege Brad Maguth and Misato Yamaguchi Activity #15 Homegrown Heroes and Local Folks: Transdisciplinary Teaching Opportunities Margaret-Mary Sulentic Dowell and Leah Katherine Saal... Section 2: Addressing Social Justice through Co-Curricular Areas Activity #16 Widen the Lens: Expanding the Occupational Opportunities for Students With Disabilities Patrick J. O'Connor Activity #17 "Box It": Resources are Limited: Creativity is Unlimited Davison Mupinga Activity #18 Giving Voice to the Moving Body Through Pictures and Drawings Jennifer L. Fisette Activity #19 Examining Culturally Relevant Pedagogy Within Physical Education Takahiro Sato and Jennifer L. Fisette Activity #20 Examining Sports in The Media: What Does the Media Actually Cover in Sports, and Could it Influence the Learning Environment in My Gymnasium? Jamie P. Ganz Activity #21 Boosting Social and Historical Imagination Through Process Drama Gumiko Monobe Activity #22 The Personal Collage and Director's Concept Board Exercises for an Introduction to Theatre Class Yuko Kurahashi Activity #23 Out in the Field: Transforming Pre-Service Art Educators Through Field and Other Experiences Linda Hoeptner Poling and Juliann Dorff Activity #24 Using Metaphor to Communicate Meaning Through a Visual Dillon Sedar Activity #25 Interpreting artworks through the "Question Tableau:" Cultivating Community in the Art Classroom Eryc M.P. Watson Activity #26 A Model for Environmental Literacy and Social Justice: Tourism in the Bahamas Sonya L. Wisdom and Thalia Micklewhite.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book presents the work from a selection of contributors who aim to provide educators with hands-on activities to encourage reflection, awareness, and dialogue related to social justice issues. Highlighting the need for teachers to intentionally create spaces where students from all backgrounds can work together and appreciate their differences, teachers and teacher educators showcase hands-on literacy strategies that all educators can adapt and use in their own classrooms to enhance social justice awareness.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Joanne Kilgour Dowdy and Kenneth Cushner.