Education in East and Central Africa
- London : Bloomsbury, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xii, 462 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Education around the world series.
LA1501 .E3655 2014
- Unknown LA1501 .E3655 2014
- Wolhuter, C. C. (Charl C.)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Series Editor's Preface The Contributors 1. Introduction: Education in East and Central Africa: A Regional Overview Charl Wolhuter (North-West University, South Africa) 2. Angola: An Overview Pedro Nsiangengo (National Education Research Insitute, Angola), Andre Jacinto Diasala (National Institute for Educational Development of Luanda, Angola) and Charl Wolhuter (North-West University, South Africa) 3. Burundi: Trends and Challenges Hermenegilde Rwantabagu (University of Burundi, Burundi) 4. The Central African Republic: The vicious circle of economic underdevelopment and dysfunctional education Mossoa Lambert (University of Bangui, Central African Republic) and Charl Wolhuter (North-West University, South Africa) 5. Congo-Brazzaville: An Overview Christophe Jalil Nordman (French Insisute of Research for Development, France) and Mathias Kuepie (Centre d'Etudes de Populations, de Pauvrete et Politiques Socio-Economiques, Luxembourg) 6. The Democratic Republic of the Congo: An Overview Rachel Nsimire Bigawa (Ecole Normale Superieure, Burundi) 7. Djibouti: Formal and Informal Education Rachel Solomon Tsehaye Institute of Research of Sociology and Economy of Education, France) 8. Equatorial Guinea and Sao Tome and Principe: Context, Analysis and Comparison Pierre Marie Njiale (University of Yaounde, Cameroon) 9. Eritrea: Educational Development Pre- and Post-Independence Ravinder Rena (University of Western Cape, South Africa) 10. Ethiopia: An Overview Jana Zehle (University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) 11. The Republic of Gabon: An Overview Jacques Ginestie (Aiz-Marseille University, France) and Jean Sylvian Bekale Nze (Teacher Training College for Technical and Professional Education, Senegal) 12. Kenya: An Overview B.O. Nyatuka (Masinde Muliro UNiversity of Science and Technology, Kenya) 13. Rwanda: An Overview Wenceslas Nzabalirwa (Kigali Institute of Education, Rwanda) 14. Somalia: Succeeding in a Failed State Michael Brophy (formerly of the Africa Educational Trust, UK) 15. South Sudan: An Overview Pieter du Toit 16. Tanzania: Revisiting Eastern and Central African Education Systems William A. L. Anangisye and Daniel Fussy (Mkwawa University College of Education, Tanzania) 17. Uganda: An Overview Stephen Ndawula (Kyambogo University, Uganda) and David Henry Ngobi (Kyambogo University, Uganda) 18. Zambia: An Overview of Formal Education Gift Masaiti (University of Zambia, Zambia) and Joseph Chita (University of Zambia, Zambia) Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Education in East and Central Africa is a comprehensive critical reference guide to education in the region. With chapters written by an international team of leading regional education experts, the book explores the education systems of Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Angola, Burundi, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea and Sao Tome, Gabon, the Republic of Congo and Rwanda. The book critically examines the regional development of education provision in each country as well as recent reforms and global contexts. Including a comparative introduction to the issues facing education in the region as a whole and guides to available online datasets, this handbook is an essential reference for researchers, scholars, international agencies and policy-makers at all levels.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Charl Wolhuter.
- Education around the world series