Plant invasions in protected areas : patterns, problems and challenges
- Dordrecht ; New York : Springer, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxii, 656 pages : illustrations (some color), maps (some color) ; 24 cm.
- Invading nature ; v. 7.
SB613.5 .P53 2013
- Unknown SB613.5 .P53 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- 1. Plant invasions in protected areas: outlining the issues and creating the links / Llewellyn C. Foxcroft, Petr Pyšek and Piero Genovesi
- 2. The bottom line: impacts of alien plant invasions in protected areas / Llewellyn C. Foxcroft, Pyšek, David M. Richardson, Jan Pergl and Philip E. Hulme
- 3. Plant invasions in protected landscapes: exception or expectation? / Scott J. Meiners and Steward T.A. Pickett
- 4. Global efforts to address the wicked problem of invasive alien species / Jeffrey A. McNeely
- 5. A cross-scale approach for abundance estimation of invasive alien plants in a large protected area / Cang Hui, Llewellyn C. Foxcroft, David M. Richardson and Sandra MacFadyen
- 6. Plant invasions into mountain protected areas: assessment, prevention and control at multiple spatial scales / Christoph Kueffer, Keith McDougall, Jake Alexander, Curt Daehler, Peter Edwards, Sylvia Haider, Ann Milbau, Catherine Parks, Aníbal Pauchard, Zafar A. Reshi, Lisa J. Rew, Mellesa Schroder and Tim Seipel
- 7. Icons in peril: invasive alien plants / Llewellyn C. Foxcroft, Arne Witt and Wayne D. Lotter
- 8. Aliens in the Arc: are invasive trees a threat to the montane forests of East Africa? / Philip E. Hulme, David F.R.P. Burslem, Wayne Dawson, Ezekiel Edward, John Richard and Rosie Trevelyan
- 9. Invasive plants in the floodplains of Australia's Kakadu National Park / Samantha A. Setterfield, Michael M. Douglas, Aaron M. Petty, Peter Bayliss, Keith B. Ferdinands and Steve Winderlich
- 10. Alien plants homogenise protected areas: evidence from the landscape and regional scales in South Central Chile / Aníbal Pauchard, Nicol Fuentes, Alejandra Jiménez, Ramiro Bustamante and Alicia Marticorena
- 11. Plant invasions of protected areas in Europe: an old continent facing new problems / Petr Pyšek, Piero Genovesi, Jan Pergl, Andrea Monaco and Jan Wild
- 12. Invasive plant species in Indian protected areas: conserving biodiversity in cultural landscapes / Ankila J. Hiremath and Bharath Sundaram
- 13. Invasive plants in the United States National Parks / Thomas J. Stohlgren, Lloyd L. Loope and Lori J. Makarick
- 14. Small, dynamic and recently settled: responding to the impacts of plant invasions in the New Zealand (Aotearoa) Archipelago / Carol J. West and Ann M. Thompson
- 15. Plant invasions in protected areas of tropical Pacific Islands, with special reference to Hawaii / Lloyd L. Loope, R. Flint Hughes and Jean-Yves Meyer
- 16. A pragmatic approach to the management of plant invasions in Galapagos / Mark R. Gardener, Mandy Trueman, Chris Buddenhaen, Ruben Heleno, Heinke Jäger, Rachel Atkinson and Alan Tye
- 17. Invasive alien plants in the Azorean protected areas: invasion status and mitigation actions / Hugo Costa, Maria José Bettencourt, Carolos M.N. Silva, Joaquim Teodósio, Artur Gil and Luis Silva
- 18. Invasive alien plants in protected areas in Mediterranean Islands: knowledge gaps and main threats / Giuseppe Brundu
- 19. Threats to Paradise? Plant invasions in protected areas of the Western Indian Ocean Islands / Stéphane Baret, Cláudia Baider, Christoph Kueffer, Llewellyn C. Foxcroft and Erwann Lagabrielle
- 20. Southern Ocean Islands invaded: conserving biodiversity in the world's last wilderness / Justine D. Shaw
- 21. Manipulating alien plant species propagule pressure as a prevention strategy for protected areas / Laura A. Meyerson and Petr Pyšek
- 22. Guidelines for addressing invasive species in protected areas / Piero Genovesi and Andrea Monaco
- 23. Protecting biodiversity through strategic alien plant management: an approach for increasing conservation outcomes in protected areas / Paul O. Downey
- 24. Overcoming barriers to the prevention and management of alien plant invasions in protected areas: a practical approach / Mandy Tu and Ramona A. Robison
- 25. Eradication: pipe dream or real option? / Daniel Simberloff
- 26. Biological control of invasive plants in protected areas / Roy Van Driesche and Ted Center
- 27. Restoration within protected areas: when and how to intervene to manage plant invasions? / Loralee Larios and Katharine N. Suding
- 28, Invasive alien plants in protected areas: threats, opportunities, and the way forward / Llewellyn C. Foxcroft, David M. Richardson, Petr Pyšek and Piero Genovesi.
- This book is the first comprehensive global review of all aspects of alien plant invasions in protected areas. It provides insights into advances in invasion ecology emanating from work in protected areas, and the link to locally relevant management support for protected areas. The book provides in-depth case studies, illuminating interesting and insightful knowledge that can be shared across the global protected area network. The book includes the collective understanding of 80 ecologists and managers to extract as much information as possible that will support the long-term management of protected areas, and the biodiversity and associated ecosystem services they maintain.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Llewellyn C. Foxcroft, Petr Pyšek, David M. Richardson, Piero Genovesi, editors.
- Invading nature - Springer series in invasion ecology ; volume 7