Generating transworld pedagogy : reimagining la clase mágica
- Lanham : Lexington Books, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xix, 235 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
LC196 .G45 2014
- Unknown LC196 .G45 2014
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword: La Clase Magica: An enduring prototype for the new Latin Diaspora Kris D. Gutierrez Part I. Embracing a Transview World Chapter 1: !Adelante! El mundo nuevo: Educating the New Generation of the 21st Century Belinda Bustos Flores, Olga A. Vasquez, and Ellen Riojas Clark Chapter 2: Una Pedagogia Transmundial/A Transworld Pedagogy: Anchoring Theory to the Sacred Sciences Olga A. Vasquez, Ellen Riojas Clark, and Belinda Bustos Flores Chapter 3: La Clase Magica: Creating Opportunities for Transformative Learning Mayra Martinez Avidad Part II. Transcending Borders as Transworld Citizens Chapter 4: Resisting Epistemological Exclusion and Inserting La Clase Magica into State-level Policy Discourses Patricia Lopez and Angela Valenzuela Chapter 5: Unearthing the Sacred Knowledge: Connecting with the Community Lorena Claeys & Henri Munoz Chapter 6: Digitizing El Laberinto: Integrating Technology, Playing with Language and Culture for the 21st Century Patricia Sanchez, Timothy T. Yuen, Macneil Shonle, Theresa Lara DeHoyos, Lisa Santillan, & Adriana Garcia Part III. Enacting Transworld Pedagogy Chapter 7: Preparing Aspirantes: Synchronizing Culture and Digital Media Iliana Alanis Chapter 8: Aspirantes' Consejos on El Maga and the Role of Technology Maria Arreguin-Anderson & Kimberley Kennedy Chapter 9: Latino Children: Constructing Identities, Voices, Linguistic, and Cultural Understandings Lucila Ek, Adriana Garcia, & Armando Garza Chapter 10: Digital Literacies and Latino Literature Supporting Children's Inquires Carmen Martinez Roldan Chapter 11: Chanzas: The 'Probability' of Changing the Ecology of Mathematical Activity Craig Willey, Carlos Leiva Lopez, Zayoni Torres, and Lena Licon Khisty Chapter 12: El Mundo en la Palma de la Mano [The World in the Palm of the Hand]: Bridging Families' Multigenerational Technology Gaps Margarita Machado-Casas Part IV. Evolving through Innovation Chapter 13: La Clase Magica International: Adapting to New Sociocultural Contexts Beatriz Macias Gomez-Estern and Olga A. Vasquez Chapter 14: Iluminadas a traves de Cosmovision: A New Age of Enlightenment for Pedagogia Transmundial Ellen Riojas Clark, Belinda Bustos Flores, and Olga A. Vasquez.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Generating Transworld Pedagogy: Reimagining La Clase Magica lays the foundation for addressing one of the greatest challenges in the 21st century: meeting the educational needs of a diverse society living in a complex, technology-driven world. It extends bilingual and bicultural transformative critical pedagogy by appropriating the use of mobile devices and digital tools within an after-school setting. Four theoretical concepts anchor this collection: the dialectic method, concepts of culture, a bilingual/bicultural critical pedagogy, and the notion of the sacred sciences. Generating Transworld Pedagogy showcases the intersection of learners' linguistic, cultural, and historical knowledge as critical tools for learning and for navigating the broader society. The volume serves as an ideal framework for preparing teacher educators and teacher candidates for a world in motion. It provides a deeper understanding of the conditions needed to create the ideal learning and teaching opportunities for bilingual learners. Special highlights include a comprehensive resource for integrating linguistic and cultural diversity within a technological and global perspective for 21st century teachers and learners; a resource for launching the model in new sociocultural contexts; an exemplar of the innovative uses of mobile technology and digital literacies within the learning setting; and a model for engaging in socially-designed community-based research that can extend to an international scale.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Belinda Bustos Flores, Olga A. Vásquez, and Ellen Riojas Clark.