Sounds of resistance : the role of music in multicultural activism
- Santa Barbara, Calif. : Praeger, 
- Physical description
- 2 volumes (xix, xv, 544 pages) : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Library has: v.1
ML3916 .S69 2013 V.1
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- v. 1. Activism in the United States.
- v. 1. Activism in the United States. "Toward a truer world" : overt and implied messages of resistance from slave songs to rap / Ian Michie ; Red power : American Indian activism through powwow music and dance / Paula Conlon and Paul McKenzie-Jones ; Song and vision in the U.S. labor movement / Victor Wallis ; Green pastures of plenty : Woody Guthrie and eco-citizenship / Matthew D. Sutton ; Urban beats, religious beliefs, and interconnected streets in indigenous hip-hop : North American Indian influences in African American music / T. Christopher Aplin ; Sight syncs sound : civil rights music, Robert Houston's photography, and the 1968 Poor People's campaign / Aaron Bryant ; Anti-Vietnam war protest music / Neill Clegg ; Eco-protest music and the U.S. environmental movement / Tyson-Lord J. Gray ; Resistance and relapse : the politics of drug discourse in rap music / Michael P. Jeffries ; You're equal but different : women and the music of cultural resistance / Charles Walton ; The new political rhetoric of hip-hop music in the Obama era / Craig A. Meyer and Todd D. Snyder
- v. 2. International activism. "The toyi-toyi was our weapon" : the role of music in the struggle against apartheid in South Africa / Lindsay Michie and Vangeli Gamede ; No future : punk music in postindustrial Britain and the United States / Brian E. Crim ; These rocks will roll : songs and resistance in Communist Poland / Marek Payerhin ; Return of the vagabond : Cui Jian and China's democracy movement / Carlos Rojas ; Afrobeat : the music of Fela Kuti / Lindsay Michie and Ayoyinka Oriola ; Maldita Vecindad, ritual, and memory : paz y baile / Lori Oxford ; Insolent origins and contemporary dilemmas : the Bachata genre as a vehicle for social commentary, past and present / Patricia Reagan ; The Cuban protest song from Pablo Milanés to Los Aldeanos / Stephen Silverstein ; Pulling at the stake of oppression : Lluís Llach's Catalan nationalism from dictatorship to democracy / Eunice Rojas ; Reading and sounding protest : musical and lyrical markers in Brazilian Tropicália and Canção Engajada / Chris Stover ; Hidden histories of resistance in Mexico's Son Jarocho / Alexandro D. Hernández ; "Spitting phlegm at the system" : the changing voices of anticolonial Puerto Rican protest music / Eunice Rojas.
- Publication date
- Eunice Rojas and Lindsay Michie, editors.
- Includes index.