Fostering the liberal arts in the 21st-century community college
- San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, 2013.
- Physical description
- 101 p. ; 23 cm.
- New directions for community colleges ; no. 163.
LB2328 .N4 NO.163
- Unknown LB2328 .N4 NO.163
- Kroll, Keith, ed.
- Includes bibliographic references and index.
- The landscape of the liberal arts / Mark W. Roche
- What happened to the liberal arts? / Chad Hanson
- Two-year humanities, "Let me count the ways" / Thelma Altshuler
- A president's view on the importance of liberal arts in community colleges / Sean A. Fanelli
- Why community college students need Great Books / J. M. Anderson
- Discovering history at the community college / Emily Sohmer Tai
- Loving all your neighbors, why community colleges need the academic study of religion / Melissa Maley
- How interdisciplinary liberal arts programs prepare students for the workforce and for life / Maureen Murphy Nutting
- A 21st-century humanities for the community college / Barry Alford, Lucia Elden
- Sources on liberal arts in the community college / M. Allison Kanny.
- The founding mission of the public, comprehensive community college included vocational training, developmental education, community education, and its collegiate function: transfer and the liberal arts. Early on in its history, however, the community college's mission began to drift toward vocational training to such an extent that at the local, state, and national level the dominant narrative of the 21st century community college portrays a job (re) training center more than an educational institution. While numerous books have described the growing threat to the liberal arts in the four-year colleges and universities, the response to "mission shift" within the community college has been muted. This volume offers an argument for the importance of a liberal arts education, particularly in the humanities, for all students attending a public, comprehensive community college. -- From back cover.
- Publication date
- Keith Kroll, editor.
- Title Variation
- Fostering the liberal arts in the twenty-first century community college
- New directions for community colleges, 0194-3081 ; no. 163
- "Fall 2013."