Teaching 21 thinking skills for the 21st century : the MiCOSA model
LB1590.3 .Z36 2015
- Unknown LB1590.3 .Z36 2015
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- &> PART I: CONTEXTUAL AND CONCEPTUAL FRAMEWORKS CHAPTER 1. THE MiCOSA MODEL and ITS 21ST CENTURY CONTEXTS 21st Century Contexts Introducing the MiCOSA Model Core Components of the MiCOSA Model PART II: CRITICAL COMPONENTS OF THE MiCOSA MODEL CHAPTER 2. PRIOR KNOWLEDGE and CULTURAL GROUNDING The Power of Personal Narrative Activating and Using Prior Knowledge and Cultural Grounding Motivation, Mediation, and Meaning in Diverse Classrooms Supporting the Development of Your Own Story CHAPTER 3. MEDIATING CONVERSATIONS for ENHANCED THINKING Intent and Reciprocity Mediating Meaning Bridging Thinking Guiding Self-Regulation Building Competence CHAPTER 4. THINKING SKILLS for GATHERING INFORMATION Systematic Search Focus and Attention Labels, Words, and Concepts Multiple Sources Position in Space Position in Time Precision and Accuracy CHAPTER 5. THINKING SKILLS for TRANSFORMING INFORMATION Goal Setting Planning Comparing Ordering, Grouping, and Categorizing Finding Connections and Relationships Visualizing Inferring Cause and Effect -- Hypothesizing Summarizing CHAPTER 6. THINKING SKILLS for COMMUNICATING INFORMATION Labels, Words, and Concepts Precision and Accuracy Appropriate Pragmatics Feedback for Self-Regulation Collaboration PART III: IMPLEMENTING MiCOSA CHAPTER 7. CONTENT, CURRICULUM, and STANDARDS: FINDING the THINKING SKILLS and WRITING OBJECTIVES Locating Explicit Thinking Skills Locating Implicit Thinking Skills Thinking Skills Underlying Common Terms in Standards Finding Patterns in Standards From Standards to Thinking Skills and Content Objectives CHAPTER 8. TEACHING for TRANSFER: GETTING to the BIG IDEAS Differentiating Near and Far Transfer of Learning Understanding and Using Big Ideas Teaching for Transfer with MiCosa CHAPTER 9 THE POWER of ASSESSMENT What Assessments Inform Student Understanding? Supporting Student Involvement in Assessment Using Feedback in Formative Assessment A Synthesis of the Assessment Components CHAPTER 10 LESSON PLANNING: PULLING IT ALL TOGETHER MiCOSA'S Teacher's Guide to Planning Instruction MiCOSA Lesson Planning Formats Self-Evaluation PART IV: MOTIVATING TOMORROW'S LEARNING CHAPTER 11 ENGAGING EXPECTATIONS and PROMOTING RESILIENCE Teacher Expectations and Student Resilience Raising Student Self-Expectations Expectations of Parents: Re-Thinking Parent Involvement APPENDIX A LIST OF STRATEGIES THAT SUPPORT the MiCOSA MODEL APPENDIX B MiCOSA STUDENT THINKING SKILLS SURVEY APPENDIX C STUDENT THINKING SKILLS ORGANIZER APPENDIX D PARENT/TEACHER THINKING SKILLS INTERVIEW/QUESTIONNAIRE.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Teaching 21 Thinking Skills for the 21st Century: The MiCOSA Model, gives K-12 teachers, administrators, staff development coordinators, and school psychologists practical, hands-on help for developing students' thinking skills across the curriculum and shows educators how to help students use the information they gain to solve problems and innovate new solutions in today's diverse and challenging classrooms and world. The book details 21 essential and critical thinking skills, using case examples from real classroom and multiple video clips to illustrate the concepts, and includes over 100 classroom strategies to augment and support the examples of the mediation presented in the MiCOSA Model.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Carol Robinson-Zañartu, Patricia Doerr, Jacqueline Portman.
- Title Variation
- Teaching twenty-one thinking skills for the twenty-first century
- Pearson professional development