Seeking solutions : maximizing American talent by advancing women of color in academia : summary of a conference
- Matchett, Karin, author.
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xii, 279 pages : color illustrations ; 28 cm
Q183.3 .A1 M38 2013
- Unknown Q183.3 .A1 M38 2013
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Women in Science, Engineering, and Medicine, issuing body.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Publisher's Summary
- Seeking Solutions: Maximizing American Talent by Advancing Women of Color in Academia is the summary of a 2013 conference convened by the Committee on Women in Science, Engineering and Medicine of the National Research Council to discuss the current status of women of color in academia and explore the challenges and successful initiatives for creating the institutional changes required to increase representation of women of color at all levels of the academic workforce. While the number of women, including minority women, pursuing higher education in science, engineering and medicine has grown, the number of minority women faculty in all institutions of higher education has remained small and has grown less rapidly than the numbers of nonminority women or minority men. Seeking Solutions reviews the existing research on education and academic career patterns for minority women in science, engineering, and medicine to enhance understanding of the barriers and challenges to the full participation of all minority women in STEM disciplines and academic careers. Additionally, this report identifies reliable and credible data source and data gaps, as well as key aspects of exemplary policies and programs that are effective in enhancing minority women's participation in faculty ranks. Success in academia is predicated on many factors and is not solely a function of talent. Seeking Solutions elucidates those other factors and highlights ways that institutions and the individuals working there can take action to create institutional cultures hospitable to people of any gender, race, and ethnicity.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Karin Matchett, rapporteur ; Committee on Advancing Institutional Transformation for Minority Women in Academia, Committee on Women in Science, Engineering, and Medicine, Policy and Global Affairs, National Research Council of the National Academies.
- Also available online.