Our dissertations, ourselves : shared stories of women's dissertation journeys
- Dinkins, Christine Sorrell.
- First edition.
- New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Physical description
- xii, 202 pages ; 22 cm
LB2386 .D56 2014
- Unknown LB2386 .D56 2014
- Sorrell, Jeanne Merkle.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 195-196) and index.
- Machine generated contents note:
- Preface1. Writing the Unknown2. Mystery, Confusion, Isolation3. Realigning Relationships4. Transformation of the Self5. Advisor and Committee: Dancing with Strangers6. End of a Journey and a New Beginning7. Looking BackAppendix: Gathering the Stories.
- "Our Dissertations, Ourselves: Shared Stories of Women's Dissertation Journeys engages readers in intimate stories from twenty women who wrote doctoral dissertations across nine disciplines--biology, English literature, modern languages, history, mathematics, music, nursing, philosophy, and social work. Their stories bring to light the common experiences, emotions, and challenges in the sometimes overwhelming process of writing of a dissertation amidst a full and complex life. Through dialogue with these women, the authors found that much of the dissertation journey is shaped by the challenges and transformations in the writer's own identity and relationships. The book is not designed to be a prescriptive "how to" book, but rather to help women writing dissertations, as well as their advisors, gain new understandings of the often isolating world of the dissertation writer and celebrate the courage and creativity that these twenty women demonstrate"-- Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- Christine Sorrell Dinkins and Jeanne Merkle Sorrell.