The cosmopolitan lyceum : lecture culture and the globe in nineteenth-century America
- Amherst : University of Massachusetts Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vi, 250 pages : illustration ; 24 cm
LC6551 .C67 2013
- Unknown LC6551 .C67 2013
- Wright, Tom F., 1981-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Tom F. Wright
- Part I. Cultivating cosmopolitanism
- How cosmopolitan was the lyceum, anyway? / Angela G. Ray
- Women thinking : the international popular lecture and its audience in antebellum New England / Ronald J. Zboray and Mary Saracino Zboray
- Bringing music to the lyceumites : the bureaus and the transformation of lyceum entertainment / Sara Lampert
- Part II. Cosmopolitan authorship
- Mr. Emerson's playful lyceum : polyvocal promotion on the lecture circuit / Robert Arbour
- With press and paddle : William H.H. Murray's "Adirondack" lectures and the making of a wilderness guide / Virginia Garnett
- William James's "True American theory" : the varieties of religious experience and transatlantic intellectual culture / Paul Stob
- Part III. Internationalism or imperialism?
- "Barnum is undone in his own province" : science, race, and entertainment in the lectures of George Robins Gliddon / Susan Branson
- The lyceum as contact zone : Bayard Taylor's lectures on foreign travel / Peter Gibian
- The peripatetic career of Wherahiko Rawei : Maori culture on the global Chautauqua circuit, 1893-1927 / Evan Roberts
- Conclusion: Cosmopolitan medium
- Humanist enterprise in the marketplace of culture / Thomas Augst
- About the contributors.
- Publisher's Summary
- Reevaluates the American lyceum movement from a transnational perspective.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Lyceums > United States > History > 19th century.
- Lectures and lecturing > United States > History > 19th century.
- Cosmopolitanism > United States > History > 19th century.
- Popular culture > United States > History > 19th century.
- United States > Intellectual life > 19th century.
- United States > Relations.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Tom F. Wright.