The use of data in school counseling : hatching results for students, programs, and the profession
- Hatch, Trish.
- 1st ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2014.
- Physical description
- xxii, 387 p. : ill. ; 28 cm
LB1027.5 .H375 2014
- Unknown LB1027.5 .H375 2014
- Includes bibliography (p. 373-380) and index.
- Learning Targets About the Author Foreword Introduction 1. Implementing School Counselor Common Core Standards: "Every Student Gets Every THING" Standards-Based Education Implementing the Common Core: The Role of the School Counselor ASCA and Standards-Based Education School Counselor Core [*Guidance] Curriculum Schoolwide Core Curriculum Action Plans 2. Intentional Guidance: "Some Kids need MORE" What is Intentional Guidance? Intentional Guidance and: ASCA National Model ASCA Professional Competencies Evidence-Based Practices Response to Intervention (RTI) and Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) Dropout Prevention Education Intentional Guidance? Or Intentional School Counseling? 3. The Use of Data to Drive Interventions School Counselor Data Proficiency Data Pre- Test Types of Data Disaggregation of Data Setting Reasonable Measureable Outcome Goals Federal Grants Call for More Data-Driven Decision-Making 4. Program Evaluation : Using Data to Evaluate Interventions Process Data: "What You Did For Whom" Perception Data: "Did You ASK?" Results Data "So What?" Hatching Results Conceptual Diagrams Intentional Guidance for Systems Change Data Over Time Where Do I Start? What Data Should We Look at Every Year? A Word About Data Addiction 5. Action Plans: A Two-Pronged Approach School Counseling Core Curriculum: "Every Student Get Every Thing" Guidelines for Using Curriculum Action Plans Sample Curriculum Action Plans Intentional Guidance: "Some Kids Need More" Guidelines for Using Intentional Guidance Action Plans Sample Intentional Guidance Action Plans 6. Determining Curriculum and Interventions Data-Driven Curriculum Decisions Rethinking the Purpose of Faculty Needs Assessments Curriculum Needs Assessment Surveys Intentional Guidance Intervention Decisions The Fishnet Approach Student At-Risk Surveys School Counselor Referral Forms Menu of Services Evidence-Based Approach to Curriculum 7. Creating Pre-Post Tests Why Assessment? "We are Teachers Too" A-S-K (ASK Them What They Learned) Attitude: How is an Attitude Question Created? Knowledge: How is a Knowledge Question Created? Skills: What Types of Questions Should the School Counselor Ask to Assess Skills? Get Real About Violence Pre-Post Test (Sample) Common Questions About Pre-Post Tests Hints for Creating and Administering Pre-Post Tests You Don't Know What They Know Until You Know What They Know Online Products Silva's Story Analyzing and Improving Pre-Post Tests 8. Intentional Guidance for Systems Change School Counselors as Social Justice Advocates Programs and Activities Policies and Practices Access and Opportunity Taking Action Data Teams Activity: Who Falls Through the Cracks? Using Data to Tell Your Story Advocacy Thoughts from Reese House Intentional Guidance Action Plans for Systems Change 9. Finding (Making) Time - Setting Priorities Time and Choice Busy Professionals? Or Always Available? Are School Counselors Starters or Utility Players Is This a Good Use of A Master's Degree? The Annual Agreement Ratios and Time Making Choices on Spending Time Time Trackers "Plates are Full" Activity FAQ and Time Suckers School Counseling Program Organizational Evaluation 10. Reporting Results Program Evaluation vs. Research Results Reports Program / Activity Evaluation Program Improvement Student Advocacy Systemic Change Program Advocacy ~ Multiple Tools for Sharing Results Filling out the Results Report Impact Over Time Calculating Percentages Using "The David Effect" Creating Graphic Representations of Data Common Mistakes and Pitfalls 11. Reporting Results via the Flashlight Approach The Flashlight Approach (Measuring ONE Thing - Well) Flashlight Rating Scale Rubric Flashlight Instructions: Curriculum Lesson Detailed Walkthrough Flashlight Instructions: Intentional Guidance Detailed Walkthrough 12. Flashlight Packages - "Putting it all Together" Flashlight Packages Introduction Program Evaluation Reflection (Barbara Smith) Guidance Curriculum Flashlight Package Intentional Guidance Flashlight Package Reflections CESCaL Flashlights Online Summary 13. Today's Professional School Counselor Does Make a Difference Logic Model for Success Preparing the Soil Realistic Evaluation Activity Questions Owners or Renters? Professional School Counselors Pilots, Passengers, Prisoners, and Hijackers (P3H) Thoughts on Complex Resistance Seeing Obstacles as Opportunities Resolving (Avoiding) the Bermuda Triangle of Counseling Data Does Work! Final Thoughts Appendix Flashlight Package Exemplars Action Plans Examples Research Quotes for Flashlight Presentations Curriculum Resources Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Reach ALL students and prove how critical your counselling program is! For school counsellors, using data effectively doesn't have to be a burden. Data can make the difference for today's embattled school counselling programs, and this insightful book shows how to collect and manage it. School counseling scholar and advocate Dr. Trish Hatch describes how K--12 counsellors can replace "random acts of guidance" with intentional, well-timed interventions, based on student data. Aligned with current research and the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) standards, this essential resource includes a complete set of tools and templates for data collection, action-planning and reporting. Readers will learn how to * Develop a robust counselling curriculum that supports the Common Core Standards and drop-out prevention * Replace "random acts of guidance" with intentional, well-timed interventions that are based on student needs * Measure progress through pre- and post-assessments * Deliver compelling reports that demonstrate your program's impact.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Trish Hatch ; forewords by Denise Greene-Wilkinson and Cheryl Holcomb-McCoy.
- Title Variation
- Hatching results for students, programs, and the profession